Corsair Community

Complete Newbie could do with some advice

leekey

Hello,

Please bear with me I am a complete newbie to SSD drives and could do with some advice.

Currently I am running a quad core cpu 8 gig ram with a 250gig WD blue which is for the OS which is windows 2003 server x64 as a web server with IIS and a 500gig WD black as the "data" drive.

IIS runs some cgi applications that reads data from databases on the "data" drive.

After reading lots about the benefits of SSD drives for read/write speed I thought that it might be a good idea to upgrade the "data" drive to a SSD drive. I have actually purchased 2x 256gig extreme drives (as i wanted to do the same on another server with same setup later).

I installed the SSD drive in to the server and let windows disk management initialize, partition and quick format the new SSD drive. All OK I can see and use the drive.

I copied the data over to the SSD drive and run the application that searches data from the databases and noticed about a 5 second increase in speed with the data being on the SSD drive.

To be honest I was not impressed as I was expecting a lot quicker results returned.

On further investigation I have been looking around and found this forum. I have been through all the posts and have picked up some usefull hints but I could do with a little more explination on how to get the best out of my 2003 server running IIS to see lighting fast results when my cgi applicaiton is run to search the data on the SSD drive.

Am I right in assuming that I would be better of using AHCI as currently the bios is set to IDE? If this is the case I assume I need to re-install the OS which is not too much of a problem. If this is the case would I still use the 250gig WD for the OS and the SSD for the data or would I be better off installing the OS on to the SSD and partioning the drive so I have the OS and the data on the same SSD drive?

Or should I use the two SSD drives in raid 0 or raid 1 ? would doing this improve the system to work at it's optimum?

As I said at the begging please bear with me as I am a complete newbie to this form of setup.

If anyone can give me some hints and tips on what they think is the best way to set up the server I would really apreciate it.

Thanks for your time and reading my post.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest you configure the system a little different, the way it is configured now with the SSD as a Data drive may not give the best over all performance. I would suggest using the SSD drive as the boot drive and use the spinning HDD as the Data drives for best performance, leave the swap file on the SSD but move all other applications to the spinning HDD's and I would use Diskeeper professional to maintain performance.

Hi Ram Guy,

Would I set the bios to use AHCI for the sata ? If this is the case would I need to install the drivers from motherboard on installation of windows 2003 server x64?

Wouldn't I benifit form putting the data on the SSD drive as the reads are quicker than a spinning dirve the openeing and closing of the data tables that the CGI application use would surley benifit from having the data on the SSD as well as the OS ?

The data tables are simple "free" tables and are not part of any form of database server like Mysql, they are seperate data tables that get opened, searched and closed when needed.

Can you give me a link or a little more info on Disk keeper professional on what this does and how to use it.

Thanks again for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Would I set the bios to use AHCI for the sata ? If this is the case would I need to install the drivers from motherboard on installation of windows 2003 server x64?

A: I personally have seen no difference in performance on my system weather it was set to AHCI or IDE Mode; the benchmark is the same either way. However, this is more driver dependent then anything else. I would use AHCI if possible but if not I doubt it will make too much difference with that O.S.

Wouldn't I benefit form putting the data on the SSD drive as the reads are quicker than a spinning drive the opening and closing of the data tables that the CGI application use would surely benefit from having the data on the SSD as well as the OS ?

A: No not necessarily, The swap file will be on the Boot drive and depending on the O.S. and other applications it may still be relying on the Boot drive to process and serve any data requests. But you could test it either way to be sure what will work best but I suspect the way I suggested will turn out to be over all.

Can you give me a link or a little more info on Disk keeper professional on what this does and how to use it.

A: Diskeeper Professional with Hyperfast

HyperFast™ TechnologyTaking SSD technology beyond the barriers

New HyperFast technology is the first ever optimizer exclusively designed for faster performance and extended lifespan of SSD's running on Microsoft® operating systems. It is nothing short of a "must have" for all the new SSD laptops or "netbooks" that have entered the mobile computing market.

RAM GUY,

Thank you for your advice.

Just one more question would I see serious improvement if I RAID 0 the two x256 drives ?

I have not had any experiance with RAID or SSD but from what I have read here and on other sites about RAID this would double the performance of the drives where lots of reads will be happening.

As server 2003 does not support TRIM i assume that is why you have suggested the Disk Keeper software. I have had a quick look at their site and I assume that I would actually need the server version as it will be run on windows 2003 server (64 bit). Again I assume that it will run in the background to keep the drives performing at their best for as long as possible. Am I correct with my assumptions on this?

Thanks again for your time on this.

• Corsair Employees

For Diskeeper I would strongly suggest asking them what version you need for your configuration but the professional version should run on Win2003 Server and would with SSD Drives, but ask them to be sure you get the right product.

And you can RAID Two drives and in practice it will improve the performance about 60-80% Raid verses one drive from what I have seen. I would not suggest you RAID two X-256 SSD Drives, if you do want to RAID two SSD Drives I would suggest getting our Performance or Reactor or Nova series drives.

Archived