Corsair Community

Does my ram need cooling fan?

tehshredder

Hi, i have had my TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF for 2 years now and i have been getting some BCOD problems regarding memory that only appear after the comp has been on for an hour or two (MEMORY MANAGEMENT and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL) but i have run memtest and other memory checking methods that have shown up nothing. I was just wondering if my memory could be overheating because it was shipped with a fan to install on it but shipped without the attachment stands for it. Could this be my problem? any help would be appreciated=]

I had the same memory in my previous pc. At one point i was trying to make the pc as quiet as possible and so reduced the fan speeds, i then ran into similar problems as yours. You don't mention any temperatures but you can try to provide more air flow/cooling and see if that makes a difference. The fan on the memory dimms certainly helps to keep their temps down although it can get noisy. The new memory fans are larger and i presume slower so they might not be as loud.

thanks for the reply, now that you mentioned air flow, i remember yesterday i was checking that the ram was secured properly and i left the side of the case was off for a good 5 hours and i didnt get any issues (i had since upgraded to service pack 2 suggested by windows forums and thought that had fixed it not taking into consideration of the extra air flow) but just today its happened again. If the fan is needed, where (if possible) can i find the stands for the cooling fan without buying a new kit?

thanks

Archived