Corsair Community

memtest errors- bad RAM or misconfigured

littlelucca

Hi,

I have cmx4gx3m2a1600c9 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) with a gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 and am seeing random reboots with Windows 7 x64.

I ran memtest and saw several errors reported.

I'm wondering though if those problems could be due to incorrect timing/config of the memory (I loaded "optimized defaults" in the BIOS) rather than actually being fault memory. I can try to RMA the DIMMs but would rather keep these if there's something I can correct/adjust.

Has anyone run this same config.? If so, were any tweaks needed?

• Corsair Employees
It sounds like you are running into a limitation of the memory controller. Most likely you wont be able to run those sticks on an AM3 board at the rated speeds or timings. You would need to lower the ram speed. You could also try overclocking the memory controller by giving it more voltage but that would be considered overclocking and done at your own risk.

Thanks!

I saw that the mobo BIOS would let me change the voltage to 1.65v but to get this to 1600 speed I think I need to overclock the CPU too. That's all new to me and I need to do more research.

In the meantime, I found that I could get things working by putting the DIMMs into different slots. Instead of using the first 2 slots as recommended by Gigabyte for dual-channel mode, I put one in slot 1 and the other in slot 3, which should run this in single channel mode. Well, it works without any errors and passed memtest.

Sure, I'm running at 1333, but I'm just glad I can still use this memory.

That's what I get for jumping on a Frys deal without doing my homework.

Archived