Corsair Community

Q: For Ram Guy - Please Help

Hey Ram Guy...

Seeing as you've helped me before (literally a couple years back here at the Corsair forums), I deemed YOU as the person with authority to help me out (plus, you were a great guy and helped with my issue back then)

I purchased 2 X 2GB sticks of Dominator 8500C5D as a CM2X set from Fry's in Las Vegas - I hand picked them for their v1.1 revision numbers (knowing that they had the famed 'D9s'). (Micron D9GKX (B6-25E) to be exact)

Anyway, they BOTH went bad on me a few days ago and I submitted them to RMA. By FedEx, Corsair had received them on Friday, March 5, 2010.

Here's where I really need a little help...I'd *really* appreciate some D9 sticks back. I know it's a long-shot, seeing as they haven't even been in production since v1.4, but knowing a company like Corsair, I have to doubt that there's not a couple D9 1066MHz (Micron D9GKX (B6-25E) or Micron D9GMH (B6-3) ) sticks hanging around somewhere - after all, they were the flagship of their day, and the best sticks ever manufacturered IMO.

If there's ANY way to return some D9's back in replacement for the D9's I sent in, I would be eternally grateful!

You guys have always been an excellent company to deal with, and I've ALWAYS bragged you up in the forums I frequent (search for my same forum name on the main hardware sites if you like, mostly Guru3D - and if I'm not mistaken, you frequent that place as well!)

I'm also own my own system builder/computer repair business, and ONLY use Corsair in all my builds and upgrades, and needless to say, my customers are always happy with their purchases!

Anyway, thanks in advance for anything you can do for an old acquaintance. The significance of the D9 ICs goes a long way, I know you know this. Barring returning sticks of version 1.1 - 1.4 with the Micron ICs, if there's any way to bump me up to the next step in MHz, I wouldn't complain. ;)

I really appreciate anything that you could do for me.

Thanks for being the company that Corsair is, and thank YOU for reading my post here.

Psychlone

• Corsair Employees
Thank you for the kind words and I am sorry to say there is not much I can do to help you get D9's as you noted they have not been in production for more than one year. There are some the come through from time to time but very few and there is no way we can specify a lot or version, they will normally try to replace with the same version but most production has moved to 2.0 Gig Modules, in most cases they would offer you a 4 Gig set to replace the 2 1.0 Gig modules.

Done. See? I was right - you ARE the good guy I've been telling others about!

Now, I just need to get a hold of the OEM dept. for my newly acquired business - Corsair is the ONLY brand of RAM I use anyway, and I'm sure my customers will enjoy a little savings as well!

Take care, Brother.

Psychlone

...they will normally try to replace with the same version but most production has moved to 2.0 Gig Modules, in most cases they would offer you a 4 Gig set to replace the 2 1.0 Gig modules.

You know, I didn't catch that part before - I sent in 2 X 2GB 8500C5D v1.1 sticks (total 4GB), not 2 X 1GB sticks...

Anyway, probably just a typo anyway.

I've read a few threads here, and it seems that the RMA process can take some time - just out of curiousity, just how long is your turnaround on RMAs?

My D9's were signed for by a Corsair Employee on 3/8/2010 (2 days ago), but the RMA status hasn't been updated at all - just curious, well, to be honest, I'm chomping at the bit, considering my crippled Dragon rig in it's not-so-glorious 2GB state. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the input and take care,

Psychlone

I'm sorry, RamGuy...I may have been mistaken.

This is what I was going by:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4513/capturexz.png

(from http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr2/)

The 2 X 2GB sticks I sent in were Dominator PC2-8500C5D v1.1, and on RamList, they're listed as both Micron D9GMH (B6-3) and Micron D9GKX (B6-25E) - I suppose either I'm reading it wrong, or they've got incorrect information on the ICs...

I do know that they were excellent sticks, and never had a problem hitting 1100MHz (via FSB increase) at stock latencies, and never took them higher in speed, nor changed the voltage from 2.1V (even though they're rated at 2.2V)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, and any information you could pass along to me would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Psychlone

• Corsair Employees
That is not accurate. The module density is a critical part of that equation and Micro D9 IC's are only 64M X 8 so the largest module you can make would be 1.0 Gig. 128M X 8 IC are totally different.

Lol - I definitely can appreciate your knowledge of your product line!

Someone should probably tell the admin at RamList that they're telling people wrong info - you want I should do it Boss?? ;)

Thanks for the input - I'm just anticipating whatever I get back...got some gaming to do!

Take care,

Psychlone

I *knew* I should have been more diligent!

That's not to say that the sticks I RMA'd weren't the most fantastic RAM I've ever owned though! 1100MHz at 2.1V @ 5,5,5,15,2T is decently impressive in my opinion.

Now I'd just like to know what the turnaround time for RMAs is...Mass Effect2, Dirt2 and Assassins Creed2 all beckon (at the same time) ;)

Thanks again and I appreciate the info.

• 1 month later...

Thanks RamGuy.

So, guess what?

The sticks I received as replacement for my original set are bad after only 1 month.

I started getting BSODs of all types. Using WhoCrashed to read the crash dumps and then Verifier.exe (Win7) to check for bad drivers, nothing was turning up, so I ran Memtest on each individual stick, and neither would pass the first 1%, so I've created a new RMA for these.

Just out of curiosity, were there problems in the manufacture of the Dominator 8500C5D sticks?

I've been a Corsair-exclusive RAM enthusiast for many, many years, and haven't ever had problems with any sets before...

Anyway, I'm just now sending them back - you'll be receiving them in the beginning of next week (Tue or Wed I assume)

Thanks for all the help you've given to me and others here.

If there's any information that you could pass along to me, I would appreciate it!

Take care,

Psychlone

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest there may be some other problem, but no there has not been any major problems that I am aware of. And you would need to contact our customer service before you send them back to get a new RMA # and I would strongly suggest testing them in another system with http://www.memtest.org

That would suggest there may be some other problem, but no there has not been any major problems that I am aware of. And you would need to contact our customer service before you send them back to get a new RMA # and I would strongly suggest testing them in another system with http://www.memtest.org

Thanks RamGuy...but I've already done everything - it's all taken care of.

I have always tested memory in multiple systems whenever possible (which is always; I own a computer repair business) - just sucks that the only Corsair sticks that I've ever had problems with have been my own! (well, I guess it doesn't suck, as I wouldn't want any of my customers to be upset at Corsair, since I *know* it's the best out there)

Anyway, as mentioned, I've tested these sticks in other systems (3 to be exact), all AMD setups (1 PhenomII 940BE, 1 Phenom 9850BE, 1 Phenom 9950BE), and it wouldn't pass the first half percent of Memtest86+ on ANY of those systems.

I'm absolutely positive that there's not something else going on, as none of my system specs or settings have changed since I got the replacement sticks (for the ones that I thought were D9's) - ALL my systems are hooked up through their own UPS (CyberPower 1500W), and have been multimetered and tested to have perfect non-fluctuating current - their amperes, voltages and wattages are all where they're supposed to be, as is my OCZ GameXstream 1010W (the PSU itself has a .02% ripple, but that's not even worth mentioning, since it falls WELL within the 5% mean)

I haven't overclocked anything (I don't really have the time or energy to spend on a good overclock anymore with this business - I'm too busy putting out other people's fires! ;)), and nothing else could have possibly changed - I've tested *everything* (again, it's my job, and when it's MY rig, I definitely put whatever troubleshooting I have to do through it's paces - I use this rig for all my data backups from other people's HDDs, as well as being a server for my other 6 computers in the house)

Anyway, thanks again, I'm just hoping the next set will work better.

Is there any way to make a suggestion to the team that will send out the new sticks to send something that's known to be more stable/last longer? They will not be overclocked, all their settings will be manually entered via BIOS, and then left alone...

An upgrade to something a little higher in the MHz range would really help me out alot in all these HUGE file xfers that I have to do all the time...

Thanks in advance for any input or anything you can do for me. You're a good guy!

Psychlone

• Corsair Employees
NP Please contact our customer service and I am sure they will take care of you. Just let them know the previous RMA and if it has been in the last 90 days we will pay the shipping but you may have to request it.

NP Please contact our customer service and I am sure they will take care of you. Just let them know the previous RMA and if it has been in the last 90 days we will pay the shipping but you may have to request it.

Thanks yet again - I'm going to let the shipping slide, I would have anyway...I'm out, what, $5?? ;)

You guys rock and always have the best customer service. I just wish I get some good replacements this time that will last this rig until I do a major update to DDR3 and retire this one as just a home server...

Psychlone

Archived