Corsair Community

X32 Really Poor Performance

Hi,

I purchased an X32 (Firmware 1.0) a couple of months back and it was performing ok (~90MB write, ~200MB read) but performance went down over time due to no TRIM (I assume). I flashed the firmware to 2.0 successfully hoping that TRIM would restore the performance but it stayed the same.

I tried to do a secure erase with Parted Magic but it would say input/output error when setting the password (the state was in 'Not Frozen'). When trying with HDDERASE v3.3 and v4.0 it would also fail saying it was unable to set the password. I tried hot swapping the SATA cables to different ports but same result. I plugged the drive into my laptop and tried setting the HDD password in the BIOS but it wouldn't take (even though it said it was successful, the HDD password was 'Not Installed').

I have attached an ATTO screenshot of how the drive is performing now...

Any more ideas on how I can do a secure erase or does this sound like I need to do a RMA? :sigh!:

Thanks!

x32.png.524c662e325f62833c17b35deddcbee9.png

• Corsair Employees
When you use parted magic right before you ID the drive dissconnect the power and then the S-ATA Cable and reconnect them in the same order S-ATA first then the power then run the Icon to ID the drives and run the secure erase and do not set a pass word just use default NULL and see if that will correct that, if you still have problems repeat the steps but when you connect the drive move it to another port.

still no luck... :confused:

the drive does say 'not frozen' when doing hdparm -I /dev/sda

it just fails when trying to set a password on it...

but shouldn't I be able to set a user/master password on the drive through the BIOS if the laptop I am plugging it into has the option?

The normal, everyday performance (that is, reading speed) shouldn't change, just the write speed. How much spare space is there on your SSD? If you fill the SSD up too much it will work MUCH slower. That is my experience anyway.

16GB free so it shouldn't be that slow...

I ended up formatting the drive and running wiper.exe on it to restore the performance back to ~90MB write, ~215MB read.

Is being unable to do a secure erase and the "Health" of the drive dropping to 90% a case for RMA?

Thanks

but my original problem was that I couldn't wipe the drive with Parted Magic or HDDERASE... :(:

Hi, I had a little trouble getting Parted Magic to work at first. I was using the latest version 5 or some such.

I then tried version 4.8 and it worked a dream for me.

Maybe that will do the trick for you?

"the "Health" of the drive dropping to 90%"

I have seen that the health indicator isn't that accurate. ATTO is a more precice measure of 'health'

Hi, I had a little trouble getting Parted Magic to work at first. I was using the latest version 5 or some such.

I then tried version 4.8 and it worked a dream for me.

Maybe that will do the trick for you?

"the "Health" of the drive dropping to 90%"

I have seen that the health indicator isn't that accurate. ATTO is a more precice measure of 'health'

I was using version 4.8 of Parted Magic.. i'll try another version though

And what was the problem you had can you be more specific about where it failed?

Did you try and Hot plug the drive and did you try G-Parted or HDD Erase?

Drive is running firmware 2.0. now. Only the X32 is plugged in.

I have the X32 plugged in and boot into Parted Magic 4.8

I select the GUI application that let's you do the Internal Erase

I select the X32 drive and it asks for the password (I tried the default 'NULL' and '12345')

The application just sits there doing nothing (No HDD activity light and I left it running overnight)

I tried doing the steps manually in the console:

hdparm -I /dev/sda -> says 'Not Frozen' as it should

hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass Eins /dev/sda

it returns input/output error

I also tried HDDERASE 3.3 and 4.0:

It detects the drive and I select the HDD to erase and confirm that I want to erase then it returns that it was unable to set the user password.

I have tried the above on 4 different machines/SATA ports, P6T Deluxe V2, an Intel 915, an Asus A8js laptop, and a Toshiba laptop with/without hotplugging. Same results... :(:

I have not tried G-parted yet but I will try it later...

Only reason I want to do a secure erase is because the drive is plugged into a MB that is set to RAID for the 2 7200rpm HDDs I have so no TRIM and 'wiper.exe' took over 4 hours to complete and it's not from Corsair...

Archived