Corsair Community

Rebate debit card is worthless

Instead of a rebate check, rebates are now in the form of debit cards drawn on a Citibank account. There aren't any Citibanks locally, and every other merchant won't honor it, including my bank. I tried to phone the Citibank customer service listed on the back of the card and was constantly put on hold. This has all the earmarks of a scam! I will never buy another Corsair product with an attached mail-in rebate!

I attempted to pay part of my grocery bill with it at Hannaford's(supermarket chain in upstate NY), and was told to take it to customer service. The clerk said there would be a service charge. My rebate is supposed to be $20, not something less. I still have it, and my question is where can I take it to redeem it's full value(Albany, NY), without penalties? Citibank has been replaced by First Niagara in this area. What happened to the good ole' check system which were readily accepted by everyone?

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest calling our customer service and see if they can help you or send them an email.

Our hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time Monday through Friday, please try to call them again at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" and do not hit any other extension or send an email to rmaservice@corsairmemory.com along with your RMA# and ask them to check the status for you.

I would suggest calling our customer service and see if they can help you or send them an email.

Our hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time Monday through Friday, please try to call them again at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" and do not hit any other extension or send an email to rmaservice@corsairmemory.com along with your RMA# and ask them to check the status for you.

I attempted to redeem the card again at a second super market, and this time I was told the card had to be activated for validation. I then tried to activate it online(prepaid.citi.com)as a new client, and was repeatedly voided (without a clue)at step 3. I called Corsair customer service with the tel. No. you gave me. The service rep. entered my identical information, and was also rejected. She entered a new username and password, and successfully activated it. Thanks for the info and especially service rep. Christine, for her patience and perserverance in helping me.

There is a paragraph stating "Visit prepaid.citi.com to register and manage your card........." In my opinion, the statement doesn't emphasize it as being mandatory for validation and should appear as the first instruction.

That sounds like a Citibank screwup, that is, not telling the Corsair person handling this matter with the bank, about the need to activate the card before using it. I've gotten similar rebate cards several times, and each time, I had to activate it before using it.

Actually a debit card is much better than a check. You have to deposit the check in your bank, and then withdraw the money if you want to use it. At least one trip to the bank, maybe two if you don't do online banking to pay bills. A debit card can be used anywhere. And if the amount of your purchase is less than the balance on the card, only that amount is withdrawn.

Once, my purchase was more than the value of the debit card. So I simply gave the store clerk my debit card, which got "zeroed out," then the a credit card for the remainder. Painless.

x509

Actually a debit card is much better than a check. You have to deposit the check in your bank, and then withdraw the money if you want to use it. At least one trip to the bank, maybe two if you don't do online banking to pay bills. A debit card can be used anywhere. And if the amount of your purchase is less than the balance on the card, only that amount is withdrawn.

x509

Not Quite! A rebate check can be signed over to anybody, in exchange for cash. It also can be deposited at my bank, where it can draw interest(.001%:laughing:).

• Corsair Employee

LOL Yes I did sorry!

Look I know the ATM cards are a PIA and I feel your pain as I have personally had to deal with that on many products not just computer hardware. I got screwed on Two Samsung Phones a few years back and never got my 200.00 Back that was promised. I screamed latterly at AT&T/Verizon I think it was until they gave me some of it back but I never got all of what was promised. But that is how this works and as long as that is how the industry is doing things I am not sure what we can do except to say I am sorry and if you have that issue contact our customer service they are pretty good and resolving these types of issues.

And for the Record I don't care how good AT&T is now I will never own an AT&T Phone again Mobil or land line they can take a slow boat back to New where ever they are from and let the door him them in the back side a few times!

• 2 years later...
I received a rebate card from corsair that I recently tried to use. The card expired one month prior but the back of the card says "funds do not expire." However when I inquired with Corsair on how to claim the funds I was told that I couldn't because they had applied fees after 6 months that essentially rendered the card worthless. So the funds DO expire because the fees use up the balance by the expiration date on the card. Bye bye Corsair. I will not purchase from an unethical company and I hope no other consumer does either. Obviously the rules were drafted attorneys.

There is a paragraph stating "Visit prepaid.citi.com to register and manage your card.

you can try that.

also best bet is after activating, take it to a bank and cash it in for the full amount.

if your bank has a VISA logo on the door they HAVE to accept it and give you cash.

dont take no for an answer, ive been through this a few times with a less than forthcoming bank but in the end once they called their home office they were told i was right and i got cash all 3 times.

• 4 years later...
I to, received a rebate card from corsair, drawn on MetaBank. I misplaced the card shortly after receiving it, and by the time I found it, the card expiration date was still good, but the funds were gone, because "Fees Apply". So, contrary to the statement on the front of the card, "Funds Do Not Expire", THAT is a falsehood. The funds DO expire because the fees use up the balance by the expiration date on the card. So Corsair makes money twice, 1) on the original purchase, and 2) when they don't have to honor the rebate. A win-win situation for them, a shaft-shaft situation for the customer. I even attempted to get this card reissued, or reloaded, by talking to someone at Corsair. It was denied because the yo-yo that I spoke to said that his computer wouldn't allow him to do it. Well, my pocketbook isn't going to allow me to spend any more money on ANY of their products! I NEVER will buy another Corsair product. EVER! PERIOD!

Archived