Corsair Community

x64 secure erase halp plz

Greetings,

I was trying to secure erase my pair of x64 drives, but am running into some strange problems. The drives show up as YATAPDONG BAREFOOT-ROM in bios. The onboard RAID utility seems to think they are two single drives that are each 120GB instead of two single drives that are each 64GB.

Part of the problem must be that prior to secure erasing I wanted to update my bios, when I probably should have done that AFTER I secure erased. In anycase, HDDErase is also saying wierd stuff like

P0 none

P1 none

and then it freezes,

or it says

P0 none

P1 none

s0 none

s1 none

and no erasing can be done since it thinks all those channels are empty. (The two cases depend on bios settings))

I've flipped all kinds of settings back and forth, such as IDE, AHCI, and RAID settings for the SATA channels. There are no jumpers on the drives either.

Basically, what I am doing now is installing Windows on a spare drive and will then use disk management to re-initialize the drives, which I am betting will work. However, I would like to know a more convenient solution for future reference.

Appologies if this has been discussed already, I could not find info on it. If it has already been covered, I kindly ask to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your help!

i have not tried to update the firmware of the drive, the only thing i did was flash my motherboard bios. i have since flashed the bios back to the original version, but it still thinks the drives are yatapdong.

The next thing I will try is putting the jumper on the drive, perhaps that will trick the drive into going back to normal.

Well, thats not a comforting thought. I definitely was not flashing the firmware of these drives, as I am a RAID user and this new firmware is of no benefit to me at all. Is there some possible way that a motherboard bios flash could get intercepted by the ssd's and screw them up? Actually, that doesn't even make sense because I had flashed the bios just fine in the past with these drives installed.

I dunno, I think its starting to look like RMA might be the only path to take. I need confirmation from a Corsair Rep. If RMA is the only way to fix this, should I just go for broke and try to flash the drive? Isn't Yatapdong useful for making the drive accept a new firmware?

Otherwise, I can't seem to get the drives to respond to any kind of stimulus. Let me know.

funny, i'm now actually trying to bring my x64 into "yatapdong" mode but somehow it's not happening. im trying to flash my ssd and no method works, so im trying anything i can think of. yesterday i short-circuited the jumper pins at one boot and that's where i got to see it recognized as yatapdong barefoot-rom, but didnt attempt to flash on that occasion. id like to try it now but lol, im unable to achieve the yatapdong mode anymore :) is there any very specific sequence of steps to do that, am i missing something?

Well, that plan failed anyway, as the firmware update utility cannot even see the drives when they are in YATAPDONG mode. The utility needs to see CORSAIR not YATAPDONG.

What exactly would you like me to post a picture of? Bios? Onboard Raid utility? Windows disk management? I'll post whatever you want.

So basically, everything I have tried so far yields the same result; nothing has been able to interact with the drives on any level.

• Corsair Employees
Which one is reporting YATAPDONG? If its the Raid Controller I would ignore it as long as the drive is working properly, but if its the BIOS in IDE mode detecting the drive that way with no Jumper I would suggest we replace the drive.

Everything is reporting it. Bios says YATAPDONG in IDE mode, Raid controller calls it YATAPDONG as well, and windows cannot initialize the drive, and there are no jumpers on either drive. I am all for replacing them. I have aleady reinstalled windows on a temporary partition in the meantime. I submitted a pair of RMA's yesterday, just waiting on approval from Corsair.

Case #: 1374014 & 1374017

Frankly I blame my old power supply that just died. I hadn't thought of it until now, because Power Supply failures are not that uncommon, however, I have never had a PSU fail while using SSD's before, and perhaps NAND Flash is more suceptible to damage from a PSU failure than other hardware components.

This is the third hardware component failure I have had from ******** in less than 6 months over three completely different systems. Their quality control is in the toilet and I would urge everyone to use them at your own peril.

Thanks for your time Ram Guy.

edit: I forgot I cannot mention other companies names, my appologies. Of Course Zealotry towards computer hardware should be discouraged :laughing:

• Corsair Employees
You will want to log in and change the quantity to Two and cancel one of the cases and have you tested the drives on another system to see if that might be an issue with that MB? Just let me know which one you change to 2.

You will want to log in and change the quantity to Two and cancel one of the cases and have you tested the drives on another system to see if that might be an issue with that MB? Just let me know which one you change to 2.

I could not see where to change the quantity to two. If you would be kind enough to direct me through the steps to get to such a field, I will comply. Otherwise, should I just use the two separate RMA's?

Yes, I have used a different motherboard; still says YATAPDONG for both drives in IDE mode, as well as in RAID mode.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, is there any way I could get an update on the RMA status?

I got an email saying the drives were received two weeks ago, so just wondering. Inputting my case # into the RMA site didn't yield any results.

Case #1374014 & Case #1374017

Thanks!

Archived