Corsair Community

Horrible Mac OS X Support for Corsair SSDs

jkheit

I bought the P256 a while ago. it's a great product and performed great. Of course, as it filled up, the write performance went down the drain. I get around 10MB/s on avg with bursts up to 25MB/s or so.

It's my boot drive. Of course, OS X 10.6.2 does not support TRIM, and I believe the P256 does not have basic garbage collection/leveling. As such, there is only one way for this drive to go; downhill in performance.

And there seems to be only one way to cure it. Drag it over to some PC with a dos disk, try the firmware patch (knowing it wont do anything) and then do a low-level wipe with some 3rd party app and hope it works to reset the drive.

THIS IS A HORRENDOUS MECHANISM. Seriously, it's atrocious for windows users as well. 1) There should be some user friendly way to update the firmware, 2) some user friendly way to write out the empty portions of the drive so the open portions can regain some speed, 3) mac support, and 4) all the above should be supplied by CORSAIR and not be an easter egg hunt for the purchaser.

Sorry, after looking around for a while, I realize this is part of the early adopter tax I'm going to pay on this, and basically need to chuck this drive and get a owc drive that doesn't rely on windows integration.

My point, other than venting, is that Corsair should address the above 4 points--and if they have, my apologies, I searched around and saw no solutions; I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Hmm... i have been using my p256 for almost 2 weeks now, with os 10.6.2 and bootcamp running windows 7, i have not noticed any slowdowns so far.

the only think i noticed is kinda slow results for files under 1mb - but when running tests for files >2mb on a 5 cycles i get 220mb/s avg on read and 185mb/s write!

but again, i dont know what will happend when the drive will be full.... also i am sure since it is a cutedge technology apple will support trim on a driver lvl... when it will happend... good question!

Biox.

I have been running OS X 10.6.2 on my P256 for a week or so now. I haven't experienced any decrease in performance yet. Though, I have never gotten the advertised speeds testing with xbench. Lets just hope that apple adds support for TRIM and Samsung comes out with firmware that will work with HFS soon.

Results	238.16	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.2 (10C540)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		MacBookPro5,1
	Drive Type		CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D
Disk Test	238.16	
	Sequential	200.29	
		Uncached Write	273.87	168.15 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	274.28	155.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	101.28	29.64 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	357.08	179.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	293.71	
		Uncached Write	120.20	12.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	342.91	109.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	1710.33	12.12 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	555.88	103.15 MB/sec [256K blocks]

• Corsair Employees

lewisenator,

While I agree with you and how you feel, that is just not the case with Apple or MAC systems. Their systems are not like Windows based systems using off the shelf hardware and they do not release out source software code like Microsoft does. So its difficult to provide the same type of software support for an Apple system as you can for a Windows or X86 Based system.

If there are any utility's for a Apple or Mac it is usually because they had a hand in its development. (They being Apple).

As far as an update for the firmware in this case (using an Apple or Mac system) I would not suggest updating the firmware as you would not gain anything in doing the update.

1) There should be some user friendly way to update the firmware,

A: How to Restore Corsair SSD performance WITHOUT using HDDErase, There are three ways discussed in this thread some with how to links and pictures.

2) some user friendly way to write out the empty portions of the drive so the open portions can regain some speed,

A: The new Samsung firmware for P-Series SSD's! We are limited to what is available from the controller manufacturer and as stated previously support for Mac is not the same as support for Windows based systems.

3) mac support, and 4) all the above should be supplied by CORSAIR and not be an easter egg hunt for the purchaser.

A: Again I am sorry but support for an Apple or Mac would have to come from directly from Apple at this time. And we have covered this previously many times and I agree it is harder for an Apple user but that seems to be by design from Apple. In other words with an Apple like many OEM systems they would prefer you never open the case and if you do they will suggest to you that you have VOID'ed the warranty. There are laws to protect your rights like the Megan law however they do not force the manufacturer to release proprietary information that may be needed to do such updates. Apple has been much better in recent years but the steps are not widely known and or used. And at this time the resources are not available to us to provide this type of support for MAC or Apple systems other than what we have provided. So in a nut shell it could be better but its not and I am sorry there is not much I can do to address it. Other than tell you I am sorry and to try some of the steps provided here on the forum. Or to contract professional help with the problem.

It is actually very disappointing that no manufacturer is prepared to step up to the plate and support OSX. Having said that, the P256 SSD I have is the only one that has not failed. I have had three other SSD's from various makers fail. Two of them within three days...!!

RAM GUY: FYI.... Opening a new Macbook Pro does not void warranty, as the instruction to add ram and/or a new hdd are included in the User Manual.

RAM GUY: FYI.... Opening a new Macbook Pro does not void warranty, as the instruction to add ram and/or a new hdd are included in the User Manual.

He did not say that opening the case does void your warranty.

A: Again I am sorry but support for an Apple or Mac would have to come from directly from Apple at this time. And we have covered this previously many times and I agree it is harder for an Apple user but that seems to be by design from Apple. In other words with an Apple like many OEM systems they would prefer you never open the case and if you do they will suggest to you that you have VOID'ed the warranty. There are laws to protect your rights like the Megan law however they do not force the manufacturer to release proprietary information that may be need to do such updates. Apple has been much better in recent years but the steps are not widely known and or used. And at this time the resources are not available to us to provide this type of support for MAC or Apple systems other than what we have provided. So in a nut shell it could be better but its not and I am sorry there is not much I can do to address it. Other than tell you I am sorry and to try some of the steps provided here on the forum. Or to contract professional help with the problem.

To be fair, I've had a P128 (in my MacBookPro) for 8 months, and although esp. random write speeds are not what they used to be, the read speeds are still like a brand new SSD (slightly faster actually than the xbenchmark above). So for most mac-users SSD is still a no-brainer. Unfortunately Corsair and Samsung SSDs are among the ones most prone to slowdown and increased write latency, so I hope this will be fixed soon - or at the very least some downloadable SSD-tool is made available so we can manually "reset" the "empty" space on our SSDs. My P128 is still really, really fast, and the combination MacBookPro and an SSD is awesome.

quick question .... do you know if in Disk utilities, under erase --> erase free space... can that future improve slowdowns on the ssd?

its seems like its doing something similar to the low lvl formatting...

Good question! There is an format option called "zero out data" in disk utility. Could that work to "reset" the unused memory cells? Anyone?

Edit: This probably wouldn't work, as the SSD still would still see the memory cells as "used", and therefore would check their content before overwriting.. Am I right?

like mac 31 I would like to know how to wipe the drive clean.

I don't mind losing all the info and reformating. I have a x64 corsair. it is in an external enclosure it has osx 10.6.2 and eyetv software. I use this hdd to move video from machine to machine in different locations. a simple thing I may do is record a 3 hr hdtv show on 1 system the file is 15 to 17gb it is in hdtv format. I then physically drag the file to my corsair enclosure. so 3 3 hours shows will just about fill the disk. now I bring it to a second computer and drag the shows to a big 2 tb hdd. this is the fastest way to move these recordings. I have been just using apple utility to erase the corsair with 0's. then I reformat and load osx and eyetv.

I am thinking that I could set the ssd with a small partition for the software and a 48gb partition for the shows. so if I do this and then use apple utility to 0 out the tv partition of 48gb do I get the ssd to speed? it is tough for me to tell because MY max speed is 80mb due to firewire800 enclosure. but making 3 to 4 gb a min download to the big drive lets me copy 9 hours of hdtv in 12 to 16 mins.

I have done this about 20 times with a full erasure. Then the install of osx and eyetv.(that takes time) So have any apple people 0'd out a partition and got back to speed?

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using a Windows based system and wipe the drive with Parted magic, you can search the Mac forum and see what other users have done with their systems but I am sorry to say all of the utilities we have would all be X86 based. There is a sticky at the top How to Restore Corsair SSD performance WITHOUT using HDDErase.

Parted magic looks like a good program but on my mac it is not working so good, when i run the format program after about 10-15s i loose the mouse and not able to do move it... and after aroune 26min the screen turns off :P although i think it continue formatting (at least i want to believe that :) )... also just thought it would be worth mentioning - my drive came with the latest firmware... and so far i have quite good speeds.... 220R 175W....

Archived