Corsair Community

High 12v Rail Reading.

Blueice

Glad to have joined the Corsair Family, by purchasing Ballistix Memory sticks and also a Corsair HX 750W.:biggrin:

I get a reading on the 12v rail of 12.492, which is, IMHO, all too high..:eek:

The value came from both Everest and the Gigabyte's BIOS.

My understanding, is that software reports are often suspect...

I have a multi-meter, however, according to HardWareSecret only an expensive device (not available to consumers) will give true values...:confused:

This is not a cheap PSU...Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? :idea:

Thank you kindly for your due consideration!

I installed another high quality PSU and checked the BIOS, which recorded the 12v rail as 12.36v.:biggrin:

This is within -+3% of tolerance vs the first PSU which was -+4%.:p:

The software on the M/B does seem to work effectively...:laughing:

Unless anyone has something to add, this case is closed. ::pirate::

• Corsair Employees
Looks like you have already discovered that the PSU is within ATX specifications and BIOS and software readings can be inaccurate, because they are reading the voltage after its been regulated by the motherboard. It does not look like you should have any PSU related problems, but let us know if you run into any issues.

Looks like you have already discovered that the PSU is within ATX specifications and BIOS and software readings can be inaccurate, because they are reading the voltage after its been regulated by the motherboard. It does not look like you should have any PSU related problems, but let us know if you run into any issues.

That is a very interesting post regarding "regulated by the m/b," something I have never heard or read!!!

I did purchase the product because it has a lengthy warranty...

BTW, my other PC just rebooted an hour ago...I did turn off the pop box, which indicated a possible problem with the PSU...Sometime ago, I did test the V******** PSU with a muti-meter and all rails where within -+1% of specs...Everest, indicated all was well with the exception of 12v rail which was within specs, but at -3%...

BTW, I did the test in four different phases and not just at idle and lastly under a full load...

But then there could also be something wrong with some of the other things in the rig...

Regular testing with a multi-meter or the BIOS does not work, unless they are way out of specs...:mad:

That is a very interesting post regarding "regulated by the m/b," something I have never heard or read!!!

Any voltage you read from software is going to be a voltage that has gone into the MOBO via that large 24 pin plug and the EPS 12v plug. The motherboard processes or regulates the power it takes from those plugs and sends it to all the places on the board that need power. So, the sensors you see reporting voltages via software such as the BIOS or Everest etc can only read voltages that the motherboard reports. Also, there are always sensor variances, calibration issues, BIOS differences etc that can skew software readings. Therefore, that's why you can only rely on a meter to test the PSU voltages accurately.

Archived