Corsair Community

790i Ultra SLI recommendation

JoeyM

I've been looking into upgrading my ram from another competitor to Corsair, and just had a quick couple questions. I've used the ram configurator to find the compatible RAM, and I think I've narrowed my choice down to TW3X4G1600C9D (2x2G), but I thought I'd post here just to see if there were any other recommendations. So I've got two simple questions:

1. The CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 and CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 products were made for the newer Intel and AMD chipsets (as I understand it anyway), and operate at 1.65v. However, the TW3X4G1600C9D RAM seems more "generic" and operates at a higher voltage and slightly looser timings. While I'm not terribly concerned with the difference between 8-8-8-24 and 9-9-9-24, what's the difference in that set that requires the higher voltage? This is more just curiosity btw...

2. Would I do just as well with one of the CMD products as the TW3, considering I'm mot going to gain any benefit due to my Nvidia chipset on the 790i? In other words, is there a compelling reason to buy one of these three over another for my mobo, or should I just go for whichever I can get the best deal on?

Thanks all for helping a newbie out here!

• Corsair Employees
The TW3X4G1600C9D would be the best kit for your motherboard. The voltage differences are mainly due to the memory controller being on the processor and the different ICs used on the memory.

Archived