Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9A on GA-P55-UD4 stuck oto 667MHz

crusair

Hi Ram Guy, hey Forum!

After running my comp for quite a few weeks now, today I realized that my RAM isn't working as I thought it would. It was my first build, so please be a little patient.

I already found and corrected that I wasn't using the Dual Channel thing correctly. Ok, now the two bars are distributed one on each channel.

But I am stuck with the frequency. Both CPU-Z and Speccy in both WinXP and Win7 tell me that my RAM is running on 667MHz, instead of 1333MHz.

As suggested, I cleared my CMOS, set the frequency manually in the BIOS, but it doesn't change.

Interestingly, at startup, it's told that it's 1333Mhz and also my Ubuntu tells me with 'lshw' that it's 1333. The same inside the BIOS's CMOS config.

I went through RAM Guy's memory configurator and apparently I should have spent a little more money on my RAM, but I can hardly imagine that this my problem!?

Hope anyone has an idea and thanks in advance!

crusair

Hi Ram Guy, hey Forum!

After running my comp for quite a few weeks now, today I realized that my RAM isn't working as I thought it would. It was my first build, so please be a little patient.

I already found and corrected that I wasn't using the Dual Channel thing correctly. Ok, now the two bars are distributed one on each channel.

But I am stuck with the frequency. Both CPU-Z and Speccy in both WinXP and Win7 tell me that my RAM is running on 667MHz, instead of 1333MHz.

As suggested, I cleared my CMOS, set the frequency manually in the BIOS, but it doesn't change.

Interestingly, at startup, it's told that it's 1333Mhz and also my Ubuntu tells me with 'lshw' that it's 1333. The same inside the BIOS's CMOS config.

I went through RAM Guy's memory configurator and apparently I should have spent a little more money on my RAM, but I can hardly imagine that this my problem!?

Hope anyone has an idea and thanks in advance!

crusair

As Yellowbeard stated, it just boils down to the differences in the reporting of the memory speed. The programs which report "667MHz" are telling you the memory's true I/O clock speed while the software which reports "1333MHz" tell you the effective memory speed (with all DDR memory including DDR1, DDR2 and DDR3, the true I/O clock speed is exactly half of the effective memory speed - the latter of which you will see advertised in the packaging). Had a version of a memory speed detection software program not been fixed at the dawning of the DDR2 era, your memory would have been reported as "166MHz" - which is the IC chips' native internal clock frequency on DDR3-1333 memory modules (for DDR3 memory, the native internal clock frequency of the individual IC chips is always one-eighth of the memory modules' effective speed rating, or one-fourth of the modules' true I/O clock speed).

You can ignore those differences since they all tell you essentially the same speed grade.

Thank you very much, Yellowbeard and RJLeong65, for your quick replies!

So everything seems to be ok now after using full bandwidth of the first channel.

Do you have a suggestion, whether I should consider buying new RAM? Is my RAM bottle-necking my system? According to RAM Guy's configurator it is too small.

Thank you very much, Yellowbeard and RJLeong65, for your quick replies!

So everything seems to be ok now after using full bandwidth of the first channel.

Do you have a suggestion, whether I should consider buying new RAM? Is my RAM bottle-necking my system? According to RAM Guy's configurator it is too small.

Actually, you are really running that memory at the maximum speed that's officially supported by Intel for its Socket LGA1156 processors' memory controller. Buying higher speed-rated memory merely enables you to overclock the memory bus. There is some improvement in memory bandwidth at the expense of somewhat increased overall memory latency.

Archived