Corsair Community

More Ram. Which is my best option?

Hiker

I contacted Corsair, by email, on 2/12/10. So far I've been ignored. Following is my question:

I have an Abit IP35 pro motherboard. I currently have 2GB of memory (Dominator twin 2x2048-8500C5D 2GB kit). I am planning to change my operating system to Windows7 x64 and upping the memory to 8GB. I looked at the list of options but I'm not sure which would be my best choice. I would like to have the best performance I can but I don't want to mess with overclocking. What is your suggestion? I don't plan to use the existing memory, so it would be 8GB of new memory.

I contacted Corsair, by email, on 2/12/10. So far I've been ignored. Following is my question:

I have an Abit IP35 pro motherboard. I currently have 2GB of memory (Dominator twin 2x2048-8500C5D 2GB kit). I am planning to change my operating system to Windows7 x64 and upping the memory to 8GB. I looked at the list of options but I'm not sure which would be my best choice. I would like to have the best performance I can but I don't want to mess with overclocking. What is your suggestion? I don't plan to use the existing memory, so it would be 8GB of new memory.

Your best option right now is one 8GB quad-module kit. At one major online reseller I've only been able to locate one such DDR2 kit, the Q2X8G6400C4DHX kit with four matched 2GB modules. That's the maximum amount of memory that's supported by your motherboard. And right now DDR2 memory prices are on the way up because fewer and fewer new systems still use DDR2 any more. Most new systems - both Intel and AMD - are now using DDR3 memory. 16MB quad-module DDR2 kits (four 4GB modules) exist, but require an Intel 4-series chipset (G45, P45) or an AMD Phenom series processor to use - and now costs much more money than the same amount of DDR3 memory for newer platforms.

Archived