Corsair Community

ddr3 power requirements?

burro

I would like to know the power requirements for the CMG6X3M3A1866C7.

I see the listed voltage is 1.65 volts, but can't find the Amps required per module.

What is the power required for each module?

Thank you in advance.

ps. Is the power required the same for all Dominator GT ddr3 modules? I will be upgrading past 1866 next year.

I would like to know the power requirements for the CMG6X3M3A1866C7.

I see the listed voltage is 1.65 volts, but can't find the Amps required per module.

What is the power required for each module?

Thank you in advance.

ps. Is the power required the same for all Dominator GT ddr3 modules? I will be upgrading past 1866 next year.

The amps required do vary slightly by overspecced memory speed. The official JEDEC DDR3 memory speed grades currently end at DDR3-1600. Anything above 1600 is considered overclocking. As a result, you should not be using a cheap power supply when running such highly clocked memory modules since high-quality overclocked modules prefer high-quality clean power. And not all 750W power supply units are created equal - in fact, some are just pedestrian 500W to 550W power supply units souped up with such high ratings. I do remember very vividly a private-label "700W" power supply unit sold at one of the biggest electronics superstore chains whose testing revealed that it would have barely passed muster as a 550W power supply unit (in fact, that unit was an actual 550W unit OEM'd for several private labels, including that aforementioned superstore chain) - and that model sold for as high of a price as several superior brands of 700W to 750W power supply units such as Corsair which tested out much, much closer to their package-claimed wattage ratings than that aforementioned private-label brand. Thus, people who paid full price or anywhere close to it for that private-label unit actually paid way too much money for what turned out to be a mediocre-quality 550W power supply unit.

Thank you for responding. I added my specs to show oc values.

I am not a millionaire so plan my builds very carefully with an eye on the horizon ( sorry the pun was too good to pass up :) ). I intend to upgrade to 2 fermies to go with my 295. I will be adding 6 GB RAM (most likely, 6 RAM will be required for the GPUs alone). I may add more RAM, depending on the cost and availability of the 4 GB modules in the near future. I will need to add another PSU along the way as well. Components will be added one at a time due to my budget constraints ( except the RAM, which will be purchased in sets).

What is the power requirement of the RAM modules in terms of Amps or Watts? So I can plan the order of my purchases correctly.

Im sorry, I must be asking the question incorrectly. Below is a response from RAM GUY, sorry caps but that is how the nick is displayed, to a similar question. Post id# 207617

http://http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=42098&highlight=RAM+power+requirements

"You multiply the amps times the voltage to get the wattage.

4.6 Amps X 2.6 Volts (DDR1) = 11.96 Watts

4.0 Amps X 1.9 Volts (DDR2) = 7.6 Watts

And if you over clock you will need to take that into account, IE setting the Dim Voltage to 2.9 Volts for example on a DDR1 module would make the power requirement higher 4.6 X 2.9 Volts = 13.34 Watts."

This is the info I need, but for DDR3 instead.

-edit- sorry the hyperlink doesnt seem to be working

DDR3 will be less than DDR1 or DDR2. I don't have the exact current figures but DDR3 runs at a lower voltage than DDR1 or DDR2.

My point is though, you cannot adjust current or amperage for memory in a BIOS. The voltage you set in BIOS and the corresponding current drawn is all regulated by your motherboard so no other component in the system will have any influence. And, the differences even between DDR1 and DDR3 are miniscule in the overall scheme of the system you are building.

Archived