Corsair Community

New P256 owner, speed issues, help please

thekubiaks

I am running Windows 7 32bit on an ASUS G1. I am replacing the laptop drive with a new Corsair P256 with the latest firmware (19...) Anyway, I formatted the P256 with quick format 32K and then did a restore from the backup created by Acronis True Image 2010.

Everything restored fine and then I checked that TRIM was enabled, AHCI is running, and turned off superfetch, disk defrag, and windows search. I also and reset the paging files to 1000 - 2000. The device manager lists the drive as CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D ATA Device. Could the problem be that Windows 7 thinks this is an ATA drive???

Compared to my old drive, this drive is fast as Hades but it can do better. Attached are my numbers which appear to be about half of what they should be. Can someone offer any suggestions. Thanks.

2117916846_CorsairP256.jpg.8ceccc0dff4aad79e54863d13f1abb5e.jpg

• Corsair Employees
Can you move the drive to another system, so you can set it as a second HDD and Run ATTO on it again? Then if its still running that poorly wipe it with Parted Magic and quick format it with the quick format at 4096 allocation.

Thanks for the replay RAM GUY. I moved the P256 to my very fast Desktop and tested with ATTO. The drive performed exactly to specs as shown in the attachment.

The difference was my Win 7 x64 desktop device manager listed the drive as a CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D

but the laptop (which is running the P256 at about half speed) is listing the device as a CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D ATA Device

It seems to me that the ASUS G1 laptop I/O controller is having a problem identifying the SSD or is possibly maxed out?? What do you think??

*** UPDATE After more research, it appears that my laptop (ASUS G1) doesn't support AHCI and I'm guessing that it can't get to the higher "functions/speeds" of the the P256.

883289469_DesktopP256.jpg.b3ef3c5feb50bd215c03e49be0c788b2.jpg

• Corsair Employees
No I would suspect the driver needs to be updated or the Note book has its IDE port limited to S-ATA1 and AHCI will be a BIOS setting try setting it to IDI Mode from what I have seen the performance will not change that much, but you will have to change a setting in the registry when you enable/disable it in the BIOS.

No I would suspect the drive needs to be updated and AHCI will be a BIOS setting try setting it to IDI Mode from what I have seen the performance will not change that much, but you will have to change a setting in the registry when you enable/disable it in the BIOS.

Thanks again for the reply. My BIOS does not support AHCI, I have looked as well as read on the ASUS forums that ASUS didn't put AHCI in the BIOS. I can do things in BIOS like turn off LBA or 32 bit transfer so I'll see if those make a difference??

As far as updating the drive, I have firmware VBM19C1Q so I'm not sure what can be updated???

• Corsair Employees

I was editing the post when you posted so please re-read what I posted, sorry.

The NB may have had the S-ATA controller limited to S-ATA1 but you would need to check with Asus NB Support to be sure. And you might check their site for updated BIOS and or drivers that may correct that.

And that is the newest Firmware for that drive so there is no update.

I think you are right RAM GUY. The issue is my ASUS G1 I/O controller. Since the Corsair P256 worked perfectly on my desktop I can't fault the P256. My ASUS G1 is a 3 - 4 year old design and I agree it is probably a SATA1 design.

I am still extremely pleased with 130MB/s and .2ms access time. I think I have at least three times the speed of my previous fast 7200 RPM drive, overall Windows 7 is flying. And, the good news is when I replace this laptop, I can take the smokin fast drive to the new machine and it will be almost twice as fast at 220 MB/s.

For those considering the Corsair P256... HIGHLY Recommended:biggrin:

Archived