Corsair Community

3xR60 RAID Strip = 64K Test results..about to rebuild with 128K strip size

turbobb

Hi all,

I just built a a brand new system and put alot of time and money into it and I am bit concerned about the performance of the SSD I have. I am new to the SSD and was wondering if these are living up to expectations.

After spending weeks researching computer parts Corsair were comming out on top for case, PSU memory etc so i went with corsair SSD thinking they would be very good. So far alls well until I tried testing the SSD R60 in RAID 0 and to be honest i was expecting bit more. I then found this forum and I am hoping you guys can help me. Attached are my results based on the above stock system i.e. no overclocking done yet. I plan to overclock the CPU / Memory etc but before i did that i wanted to baseline the SSD / CPU / Video card etc. I then notice Product Guru recomend use strip size 128K and QUICK Format select 32k Allocation, when I built the windows 7 i dont recall the option to format as 32K, i just rememeber a format button. I will watch out for the 32K option format on next build. I now plan to rebuild the system again with windows 7 64 bit with a strip size of 128K and 32K quick format in the hope of better results.

these SSD are only 3 days old, so if these results are not up to scratch I will be returning them. Can someone recommend an alternative? Attached are the results of the SSD based on the above system with strip 64K. When i redo the system with 128K strip I will repost the results again.

I also checked windows defrag schedule and the SSD's are not appearing there which is good. But I also read about prefetching in windows registry been disabled i.e. set to '0' and my registry is '3' not sure if this is correct for these SSD? Anyone know anything about the registry settings? or we just accept that nothing in the schedule of degrag is enough?

Any thoughts be great.

cheers

J.

ASSSD1.thumb.jpg.b87711b39ed61f326619145cc731712c.jpg

HDTun.thumb.jpg.79235551003f4548e5fefee92722f379.jpg

SSD64K.thumb.jpg.3d4b7c0ed7552bdf6e3cc5e6c5ee8132.jpg

Hi Ram Guy

I rebuilt my system 3 times tonight doing as you suggested 128K stripe size but doing the Windows 7 64 ultimate build i only see the options Format, new, load drivers and next buttons some of these options are under advance button. For format upon install I do not see the option to format as 32K or a quick format option??? am i missing something?...can you give us more information or a link for installing windows 7 on the SSD drives with a quick format as 32K. Unless the default option for format is 32K???

When its rebuilt I will run the tests again and share screenshots.

cheers

J.

Hi RAM GUY,

I just seen your reply, i was thinking it was something like that, i guess I will have to do another rebuild. For what its worth attached are the results with 128K stripe with windows 7 default format option... I wish windows had included the quick format for 32K during the build.

also just seen this video... how much of the tweaks apply to Corsair SSD drives? he got some amazing results from his SSD.

or youtube a search for 'Keeping your SSD running brillant' its the first hit.

cheers

j

128results.thumb.gif.f0839b5e08fb3b7ac08aac53355ad0cf.gif

• Corsair Employees
Its running O.K just I would expect it to be a bit better. You can use Accronis to image it to another HDD and then you can play with the format and Raid settings to get the best performance. But in our tests 128K Stripe for the Raid and 32K Allocation was the best performance.

Hi Ram Guy,

I did the rebuild as you suggested above and tried some more tests, my reads are good but my writes are bad...see attached and let us know what you think. I used diskpart --> clean and cleanall to initially clean the disks.

Can you think of anything else to get better results. I also followed everything on the youtube link above and still no major improvement.

thanks in advance for any advice. I am determined to get the best results as i put a good system together.

cheers

J.

SSDSJ.thumb.jpg.c8a631d9605fd69f0931acc760e435c4.jpg

Archived