Corsair Community

Faulty Ram

stew22

Hi,

I have four sticks of ram all with the label reading CM2X1024-8500C5D. They have all died and im now unable to boot my pc. I bought them 3 years ago for well over £200 and I have a few questions:

1-How long does getting replacement parts take?

2-Do i have to return the faulty sticks and if so do i have to send anything else with them?

3-If i have to return the faulty sticks, then where do they get sent as i live in Scotland?

I filled out the RMA request yesterday and have not received a reply yet which is why im posting here, as i currently cant use my pc which is annoying.

Thanks

Wait for your RMA to be authorised by one of Corsair staff...

I filled in an RMA last Monday got a reply the same day (15th Feb) and sent the package of the same day. I got an e-mail today saying they recieved the returned part. They have some delays in the RMA department and have advised me it will be another 5 days for this to process. Grrrr no system for another 5 days I just might have to borrow a ddr3 stick of someone!

Im from the UK so im assuming you will have to send the ram to Netherlands returns depatment.

Thanks for the reply shilz

So basically im looking at weeks without a working pc :( What are my options then, can i buy replacement ram and have corsair pay for it when they agree my rams faulty or do i have to just buy some cheapish ram until this gets settled.

• Corsair Employees

If you have 4 modules that have failed at the same time then there is some other problem, it would be unlikely that all four modules would fail at the same time. And I would have to deny a claim made with that premise.

I would strongly suggest testing the modules one at a time with the tested settings manually set with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. And that part is not available a single module, how did you purchase that set? As two Twin sets or???

Yes you would need to send the failing modules first unless you make other arrangements with customer service prior to that.

There average turnaround time is 10-15 Days for International RMA's

Hi RamGuy, no they havent all failed at the same time.

Heres whats happened, 2 ram sticks began showing errors then failed completely. I removed the faulty sticks from the pc and just ran the pc with 2 sticks. I then went on holiday for 2 weeks and arrived back 2 weeks ago to find that even though my pc was not in use my 2 remaining sticks were showing errors. Both of these have now died completely and the pc wont boot with any of the sticks installed.

I can no longer run memtest etc as i cant even get to the boot screen.

The ram was bought as 2 Twin sets and was purchased at the same time.

• Corsair Employees

That might suggest some other problem with the system in that it is suggesting that the MB may be damaging the modules.

You would need to make the request for Two TWIN2X2048-8500C5D sets, what is your case number and I will look at it personally?

• Corsair Employees
I changed the module quantity to 4 for two sets and approved the RMA request for you, now you do know that you cannot run two sets at DDR1066 right? With two twin sets the next lower speed grade would be suggested.

Hi Ram Guy,

I posted the sticks of yesterday so hopefully they will arrive in the Netherlands soon. I forgot to mention that if possible id prefer 2x2GB as replacement sticks instead of 4x1GB as it would allow me to add more ram in the future. If thats not possible then i understand.

• Corsair Employees

You would have a better chance of getting an answer for that by calling in and talking to our customer service, please call them at 510-657-8747 Ext "3" or send them an email with your RMA number and your questions to rmaservice@corsairmemory.com

However, normally we cannot change to another part number unless the part in question is out of stock or no longer available. But as I said I am not tha right person for that question.

Yeah i dont think they will change it for something else but if you dont ask, you dont get lol. Il email them today and see about it.

They emailed me yesterday saying they have received the RAM and that it could take up to 5 days to process, so hopefully il hear from them again soon.

Archived