Corsair Community

Asus P7P55D Evo

N1K

Hi all,

as I faithful Corsair customer, I plan to stick on Corsair memory for my new machine.

I plan to buy Asus P7P55D-Evo MBO and

Corsair 6GB, 3x2GB, 1600 MHz DDR3, XMS3-1600, DDR3 SDRAM, unbuffered, 8-8-8-24, Three matched modules, for X58 DDR3-based motherboards, TR3X6G1600C8

I see that info of this memory says: 'for x58 DDR3-based MBO's'.

Am I OK to go with this memory, or should I consider anything else from the Corsair palette.

I also plan to buy Intel Core i5 processor.

Thanks.

Hi all,

as I faithful Corsair customer, I plan to stick on Corsair memory for my new machine.

I plan to buy Asus P7P55D-Evo MBO and

Corsair 6GB, 3x2GB, 1600 MHz DDR3, XMS3-1600, DDR3 SDRAM, unbuffered, 8-8-8-24, Three matched modules, for X58 DDR3-based motherboards, TR3X6G1600C8

I see that info of this memory says: 'for x58 DDR3-based MBO's'.

Am I OK to go with this memory, or should I consider anything else from the Corsair palette.

I also plan to buy Intel Core i5 processor.

Thanks.

That triple-channel kit is best used with an i7 900-series processor-based system in the Socket LGA1366 form. You can use it on your dual-channel platform, but the memory controller will switch to a "flex" mode in which the two modules installed in the matching dual-channel slots run in dual-channel and the single remaining module runs in single-channel. That will affect the system performance - not only because of the hybrid flex mode, but also because the memory controller's speed would have to be reduced to DDR3-1333 or lower speed to compensate for the two extra ranks of memory in one of the channels. It's better to heed the RAM GUY's advice and purchase a dual-channel kit or two (remember, two dual-channel kits will work at up to DDR3-1333 speed).

In other words, only the 1366 platform supports triple-channel memory. 1156 platforms are dual-channel.

In addition, if you do go for an i5, choose carefully. Only the i5-7xx series (without integrated video) is quad-core but with HyperThreading disabled. The i5-6xx series with integrated video (which itself requires an H55, H57 or Q57 chipset to even use; the i5-6xx can be used on a P55 or P57 motherboard but without the CPU's integrated video function) is only dual-core albeit with HyperThreading enabled (the similar i3 processor, also with the same type of integrated video as the i5-6xx line, is dual-core with HyperThreading disabled).

Archived