Corsair Community

SSD System Drive, TRIM, Storage Drives in RAID

CMOwen

Hi,

I'm about to start ordering parts for a new machine to replace a 5 year old Laptop. I am trying to learn as much as I can about new parts (new to me since the last time I built a computer). I will be installing Windows 7 64-bit.

My plan for Storage was as follows:

Windows OS + Programs: Single ~120GB SSD

Media and Storage: 4x 500GB drives in RAID 0 (Intel Matrix RAID on EVGA E758)

Backup: Single 2TB drive

First, is it best to have the SSD in AHCI mode on the motherboard?

After reading the TRIM FAQ I am concerned my plans will not work if I want TRIM support. I will need to install the Intel Matrix Storage Utility in Windows in order to setup my mechanical drive RAID array. I would assume this installs Intel's storage drivers (overwriting the MS drivers), however, according to the FAQ this will disable TRIM as it requires the default Windows drivers (MSAHCI):

How do I enable support for TRIM?

For TRIM to function the operating system, storage drivers and solid-state drive must all support the TRIM command. Currently, only Microsoft Windows 7 operating systems support the TRIM command and only when the default Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI) from Microsoft is used.

As such, TRIM is only supported in single-drive configurations, since current RAID storage drivers do not pass on the TRIM command from the operating system.

Please tell me I have this wrong or I am misunderstanding what is being said.

Asked Intel about this via Live Chat (see screenshot). No telling how long it will be until the new version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and drivers come out :sigh!: My guess is at least a couple of months (if not more).

I guess my next question is if it does come out 2 months months from now, how bad do you think the SSD will suffer performance-wise in that time? When the new drivers that support TRIM do come out and I update, will TRIM take care of the last two months worth of garbage? (wish I understood how all this works better :p: )

BTW, I do plan to move the pagefile, temp directories, and user profiles to a conventional HDD or array.

http://www.refugedenied.com/img/intel_ssd_chat1.gif

Archived