Corsair Community

Corsair 1 GB Memory Module VS1GB333G

John Lock

PC has ABIT-NF7 motherboard with one Corsair 512MB memory Module (CMX512-2700LLPT XMS2700 512MB 333 MHz). Have purchased an additional Corsair 1 GB Memory Module (VS1GB333G). I intend to use both modules to give a total of 1.5GB.

When installed PC fails to start.

I have checked your site and it seems to be the correct module for this board- grateful for any advice you can offer?

Regards

John, UK

Hi

I tried it with just the 1GB but still no sucess!

John

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the VS1GB333G that you got has an IC density (in terms of the number of IC chips per rank) that's too high for use on your particular platform. Most current DDR1 memory modules that are still produced are of the so-called "high-density" type, which (as it turned out) is compatible only with motherboards using certain VIA and SiS chipsets. These all use "stacked" IC chips, each of which is not compliant with the official JEDEC standards. The switch from "standard-density" to "high-density" DDR1 memory modules even by companies as large and reputable as Corsair (although Corsair does not actually design or manufacture these particular modules, only receives and tests them) reflects the fact that no currently available platform uses DDR1 memory any more and the associated increase in cost per GB of such memory. In the case of the Value Selects, Corsair receives them as fully-assembled modules, which had been manufactured and assembled by someone else. The stock that Corsair receives is supposed to be made up only of legitimate double-ranked 64Mx8 modules, but every now and then an occasional 32-chip 64Mx4 (double-ranked 128Mx4) module slipped through the cracks. These modules may look like standard double-ranked 64Mx8 modules, but are in reality double-ranked 128Mx4 modules that consist of a whopping sixteen 64Mx4 ICs per rank. (JEDEC standards prohibit the use of more than eight IC chips per rank for unbuffered non-ECC memory.) And x4 ICs have always been cheaper to manufacture than x8 ICs of the same nominal density. The nForce2 chipset is one of several which will not work properly or at all with such "high-density" memory modules. A system using one of a few other unsupported chipset memory controllers might POST with this memory, but only half of its capacity would be recognized.

Archived