Corsair Community

Cm2x2048-8500c5d problems

jim65

I have been using your CM2X2048-8500C5D for several months with windows xp 32 bit and having no problems.

When I upgraded to windows 7 64 bit I put in another 2 matching DDR's (CM2X2048-8500C5D) and started having memory errors (total 8 gigs memory). I checked the memory sticks individually with memtest86+ and found one of the sticks was defective. I RMA the matching pair of sticks and got 2 replacements. I tested the replacements with memtest86+ and one stick had error problems. I again RMA the matching sticks and yesterday got the new pair. The new pair also has a problem. One stick is OK with memtest86+, 13 passes and no errors. The other stick will not even allow the machine to post. I just get bios beeping indicating memory error.

the bios is set to 5.33x which gives me 1066 speed and the voltage is 2.1, timing 5-5-5-15

I test one stick at a time and always in the first slot next to the CPU. All the sticks I have or have received in the past have been tested the same way.

I am not sure what to do at this point. The RMA takes two weeks for a return and cost me $6.00 shipping each time which would be OK but it does not get me working memory.

What can I do?

• Corsair Employees
I do apologize about the issues you are having. Most likely the issue you are running into is a limitation of the memory controller not the memory. Try slowing the memory frequency down the 667MHz or 800MHz and see if all of the modules will run.

I am only running 1 stick of memory at a time when I do the testing. 1 of the two sticks you sent works fine, the other will not allow the machine to POST, I only get beeps indicating memory error. I am not running 2 two or even 4 sticks at a time, just one.

I know when I run 4 sticks at the same time I will need to lower the timing. But now with just one stick it should be able to run at normal clock speeds.

But maybe I am wrong and the 2x4096-8500C5 needs to be run at 667Mhz with only one stick in the machine.

OK, I tried setting my bios to 667Mhz memory speed. I am only using 1 stick of memory.

The machine will not POST. The memory is defective. It will cause the system to fail during the POST.

The other stick of memory you sent me from the RMA works fine.

• Corsair Employees
If this is the third kit it would suggest something else. I would recommend testing the modules in another motherboard if possible. It is possible that one of the ram slots or the board is having an issue with the memory.

I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

1. I have done all the testing with only one stick of memory in the machine.

2. The same slot has been used for all the testing.

3. I have 4 sticks of memory - 3 sticks are OK, 1 stick tests bad

4. The 2 sticks of memory in my machine right now are running fine, I am using the machine right now

5. One of the 2 sticks of memory that you sent me is defective.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived