Corsair Community

Very strange problem with TX650W...

Desolace

Hey Guys,

So I recently purchased the TX650W PSU, because my previous 400W PSU had died on me. This was evidenced by failure of the paper-clip test, as well as smelling burnt inside the PSU itself. When the TX650W arrived however, it would just keep clicking when fully plugged in, and the light on the ethernet port would blink in time with the clicking. So I decided to fully unplug it all, and try the paperclip test. Worked fine. When I tried plugging in the PSU one plug at a time, it still did not work at all. So I assumed it would be my motherboard.

However, when I tried using a different PSU from another computer on my current one, it worked without any problems at all. So I'm guessing it's not my mobo. So I replugged in the TX650W and hoped that maybe I just plugged it in wrong the first time. No luck with that again either. So I tried plugging it fully in, and then doing the paperclip test at the same time, and it powered on the whole system without a problem. So at this point I was really confused, and thought it might be just a small problem with the PSU.

A couple of weeks later, I got a new one back, after getting an RMA and going through all those steps. But still, it did not work after I plugged it in. Weird enough, I have found a way to get it running by leaving the power switch on the PSU on, and pulling out the 12v rail and pushing it back in. The entire system powers up for a second, and if I press the power button soon after, it starts up and runs perfectly fine.

All the evidence leads me to believe that there is no problem with the PSU, and my motherboard turned on just fine with the other PSU, as well as when I unplug and replug the 12v rail. So if it's not the motherboard, and not the PSU...then I really have no idea what is going on here.

My motherboard is a Foxconn/Winfast NF4UK8AA.

I have one SATA HDD, one IDE dvd-rw drive, one PCI-E Graphics card, and that's about it. If you need any other information, let me know.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help,

Des

can you just plug in the 24 pin connector and the square 4 pin by itself and see if the problem still exists? then the on-board molex? if no issue yet just try plugging in 1 component at a time to see if there is something else taking it down? im also wondering if the ATX connector requires a 5v ground which is no longer needed with newer ATX specs/PSU's??

if you do get it to boot into the bios at least what does the hardware monitor read under voltage? see anything hinky? this screen..

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/mobos/Foxconn_NF4K8AC/pics/1028.jpg

good luck!

So I tried stripping it down to just the 24 pin and the 4 pin connectors, and nothing. I tried this earlier on and it didn't work then either, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try again. I even put just the 24 pin in by itself, and it didn't do it either, the ethernet light keeps just blinking slowly in time with the clicking. So I had to unplug and replug the 24 pin connector again, and when I got it to start up this is what the BIOS read:

BIOS.thumb.jpg.e10cc6277e94179177c0eb485fcf9ec0.jpg

• Corsair Employees
This is a strange problem indeed, I think the only way you may be able to get to the bottom of it is to test the PSU in a different system and see if the problems follow the PSU. If so, then we would want to replace the unit for you.

Hi, i've got the exact same problem with my HX620. I had been running it fine in my current setup for a good few months now (maybe a year). And noticed it powering off a couple of weeks ago. After trying several things i found that grabbing the 12v rail main cable and pushing it back into the PSU suddenly made it power on again. If i give it a good push it fixes the problem for a good few days but seems to come lose again. Should I raise an RMA form also?

Thanks.

Archived