Corsair Community

h50 pump connection question

demsy

hi

im thinking about purchasing a h50 cooler for my system i just have one question about the pump of the cooler.

the connector is a regular 3 pin, correct, and it must run at 100% all the time, so i was thinking could i just get a 3pin to molex connector for the pump and connect it directly to the psu?

becuase my mobo only has 1 system fan port and i plan to use it for something else.

thanks

demsy

Short answer: Yes

Long Answer: Yyeeessssss :)

lol coolio :)

whats the something else?

i was thinking of getting a ram cooler to make my rig look cooler, and to cool the ram...

i ask because if fan monitoring is turned on and the rpms are lower than the board allows the system can shut down.

i wanted to leave that stuff alone lol hence the psu question :)

i personally support pulling power through a PSU rather than depend on the traces on a MB. but thats me.

same with me unless i dont want it to run the thing at 100% 24/7

thanks for ur helps

demsy

i would not trust running the pump at anything less than 100% it was designed to run at 100% anything less would put a strain on it and likely cause early failure. the fan is another story, if your temps are acceptable you can run a fan at any speed you like i suppose.

there is an adaptor (not included) that draws power from a 4-pin molex connection from the PSU, but has a 3-pin connection with only the RPM sense wire that goes to the mobo so you can power it from PSU, AND monitor operation...best of both worlds

• 1 month later...
What if the 3pin power connector with a 4pin molex adaptor were connected to a block (say 5) of molex adaptors, would this work? I currently of 5 fans piggy-backing of each other and was thinking i could plug the H50 power here...

as long as the amps don't go over the psu rating for that line your fine. i have all 5 of my system fans connected together to one 4 pin. most psu ratings are 20-40 amps on the 12v line... most fans draw very little power. you would have to heavily overload your system for any problems to arise from too many fans.

if you are concerned about the fans and want them adjustable, i would connect the pump to the cpu header ( that way you can monitor the speed and you would get an alarm if it died....which might save your cpu) and get a fan controller and hook up the fans in any array you like. (ie: front, back ,ram, h50fan) that way you could control how they impacted your sytem.

Archived