Corsair Community

XMP BIOS Setting - Asus P7P55D-E PRO

Stan Lenci

I have question for BIOS settings on a ASUS P7P55D-E PRO Motherboard.

1. Is the only BIOS change needed to get CMX4GX32A1600C8 memory to run at 1600Mhz with 8-8-8-24 timing is to enable the XMP setting under "Ai Overclock Tuner" in the BIOS?

2. How do you confirm the frequency the memory is running? I have CPUID but don't see 1600Mhz nor 8-8-8-24 under the memory tab.

1. Not in my experience. Simply setting XMP does not give you a stable system with that board and memory combination - I've been struggling with this for weeks.

2. The memory frequency is displayed on the POST screen at boot. If you disable the Asus splash screen you will see it. Out of the box the memory will run at 1333, with XMP it will run at 1600 but is not stable.

My advice (after 3 weeks of struggling with this problem) is to leave XMP alone and configure the memory manually. I have had the best results by setting the DRAM Timings and voltage to stock, leaving the frequency set to Auto. Then experiment with IMC voltage until the system is stable - I'm currently testing IMC at 1.25. After that you may want to up the base clock so that the RAM and CPU step up in tandem.

I'm no OCer and I stand to be corrected about the above approach but the bottom line is that I haven't managed to get my system running stable with this RAM at 1600. If someone has a better strategy, I'd love to hear it (please!).

Edit:

Sorry, I just noticed that you are using a 4GB kit. Most likely you won't have the same problem as me (8GB kit). The problem seems to stem from the fact that the mobo is only just capable of running 4 modules and some tweaking is required.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I may be fortunate that I'm only using 4GB! I wanted 8GB but pre-read the manual before I bought the Mobo/Memory combo. The manual had several caveats that bothered me so I decided on only 4GB. Examples:

On Page 2-11 - "Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

OnPg 2-18 - "According to Intel spec definition, DDR3-1600 is supported for one DIMM per channel only. ASUS exclusively provides two DDR3-1600 DIMM support for each memory channel." (With your problem it doesn't seem like they are "exclusively" supporting 4 DIMM's.)

On Pag 3-16 - "To obtain the best performance of the X.M.P. DIMM or 1600Mhz DIMM, install only one DIMM on each channel.

Too many contradictory statements IMHO. Good luck with your search for a solution but definitely keep pressure on ASUS to meet their "exclusive support" statement.

Bye the way, I'm just a newbie and plan on only being a "casual" overclocker. The reason for my initial question is that I was expecting CPIUD timing reading of 8-8-8-24 but instead am reading 9-9-9-24 (I bought Corsair "C8" series with 8-8-8-24). This doesn't change whether I have X.M.P. enabled or not (only change I thought I had to make). So I was looking for an answer to see if this is what everyone else normally sees. Any help for me?

Absolutely right about those contradictory statements. Unfortunately, I only read the manual after receiving the board but, to be honest, I took it for granted that their blurb was true - added to that, Corsair have the 8GB kit listed as compatible with this board. I am now close to a stable system but not without major bother.

I imagine you'll be fine with your setup and It'll most likely work fine with just XMP. I had it pretty stable with just 2 DIMMS.

Archived