Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D with Intel DX58SO

DH22

Hello there, first post!

I saw the BIOS settings over at -> http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76945 by Yellowbeard stating that the TRX3X6G works with the X58SO mobo. Of course, as mentioned in that post Intel clearly marks anything above 1.6V is a bad idea. Corsair doesn't even promote this RAM with this board on the memfinder.

My questions for you gurus are should I really put these two together (board and RAM)?

I'll be the first to admit I was very lazy and bought Amazon's recommended package with minimal research and I might be paying for it now. Everything is unopened so I'm curious if I should set this up or refund the memory? ::pirate::

-DH22

Hello there, first post!

I saw the BIOS settings over at -> http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76945 by Yellowbeard stating that the TRX3X6G works with the X58SO mobo. Of course, as mentioned in that post Intel clearly marks anything above 1.6V is a bad idea. Corsair doesn't even promote this RAM with this board on the memfinder.

My questions for you gurus are should I really put these two together (board and RAM)?

I'll be the first to admit I was very lazy and bought Amazon's recommended package with minimal research and I might be paying for it now. Everything is unopened so I'm curious if I should set this up or refund the memory? ::pirate::

-DH22

Actually, Corsair does not even list the DX58SO (boxed) on their Memory Finder. The "X58SO" listed in the configurator is an OEM-specific motherboard which does not have any voltage tweaks; that is, the DIMM voltage is permanently fixed at 1.50V.

As for the DX58SO, it does have DIMM voltage tweaking provision. However, like many i7 motherboards, it allows you to set the DIMM voltage only in increments of 0.04V. This means that based on the BIOS default setting of 1.54V, the closest to 1.65V that you can set the DIMM voltage to is 1.66V. There is no harm done if you set 1.66V, in this case.

Intel's recommended maximum DIMM voltage limit for its on-die i7 memory controller is actually 1.65V, not 1.60V. The 1.66V setting is to allow for a small amount of Vdroop.

Question,

Are you liking your board?

Running my 920 perfectly fine at an overclocked 3.5GHz with memory running at 1400.

Just a couple of minor issues:

1. Getting the front panel wires of my case to the motherboard connectors is a bit of a stretch. The connectors will reach, but I had to snake the wires underneath the expansion card(s).

2. The motherboard, despite being one designed for a CPU with an on-die triple-channel memory controller, has only four DIMM slots. This not only limits memory expansion capability, but also forces the memory controller to run in a "flex" triple/single-channel mode with all four DIMM slots filled. In this case, memory that's installed in the three blue slots will run in triple-channel mode and the one module installed in the black slot will run in single-channel mode.

Archived