Corsair Community

Noisy PSU? Read this first!

RAM GUY

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, ive been having the same problem for maybe about 1 year now. Way before I thought it was just feedback from headsets but today idk why I decided to see whatsup. I just got a 144hz monitor, and I just couldn't take the buzzing anymore.

I decided I would return the psu and get a new one. I now have an hx 850i, same buzzing when playing games. I looked at my fps playing risen, it was about 2.5k to 3k fps! once I saw that someone said they had vsync solve the problem I did it.

Capping the fps at 144hz reduced the sound significantly, it is still there though. now I'm wondering if it is that my rig demands more power than 850? seems very unlikely. I took the asus survey to find out how much power I need and it said 800W so I should be in the clear.

anyone have any idea?

edit*****

when going into the game the sound gets louder, so playing is annoying!

• Corsair Employee

850 should be more than enough. If it wasn't, the PSU would shut down (not buzz).

Is the buzzing coming from the PSU itself or is this buzzing you're only hearing in your headset? If the latter, the problem isn't directly a PSU issue. Could be a grounding issue (like when I plug my phone into the input jack of my JVC head unit in my car, I get a buzz).

850 should be more than enough. If it wasn't, the PSU would shut down (not buzz).

Is the buzzing coming from the PSU itself or is this buzzing you're only hearing in your headset? If the latter, the problem isn't directly a PSU issue. Could be a grounding issue (like when I plug my phone into the input jack of my JVC head unit in my car, I get a buzz).

There is buzzing from the the wifi headsets but i think its only because of the wifi, but the buzzing you hear is strictly from the psu

Sorry, I meant there is a buzzing on the headsets but its only when I put the volume loud, I think its just the fact that the headsets are wireless. But there is a major buzzing sound that without a doubt comes from the PSU, you can put your ear to it and its coming from there, it varies as you scroll internet pages. If you play video games it changes frequency when you look at different scenery. That is why I was thinking maybe my system is requiring too much power that the PSU can't supply. I just don't know. I can easily go back to micro center and exchange it but I just find this problem so weird

I looked at all my outlets in the room, all but one were not grounded. plugged into the one with the ground and voila! problem gone...well on the psu. I guess there are capacitors in the psu that need to be properly grounded to dampen the high frequency ac. however my monitor and headphones still have the buzzing...the back of my pc as well as the front audio jack both have the buzzing issue. its not annoying when you have the volume up though

thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Ok. Bad ground is always a bad guy. But I'd continue to look for bad grounds within the PC. Like the case to the PSU (make sure that paint doesn't hinder the ground between the two) or PSU to the case (make sure the I/O panel has a good contact with the case).

Believe it or not, I've found that PAINTED SURFACES are the biggest culprit between a system and proper ground. Sandpaper (to rough up said surfaces) has been a good friend.

• 2 months later...
If that's the case, perhaps the grounding issue is between the PSU and the chassis. Where do you plug in your headphones? Front panel or in the back? Could be a grounding issue between the front panel and the motherboard.

Good point much less if you live in and older house with screw in fuses but that would fall under a very few home owners of today I guess.

BTW: I'm way behind in my update for my computer spec's of My system has changed to run the star Fleet space ships LOL.

Archived