Corsair Community

problem

Hi all,

Firstly sorry if I sound like a newbie (because I am). I have browsed quite a few posts and hope I'm in the right place.

I also am unable to run my RAM at its rated speed without the computer either crashing once is gets to Windows or sometimes it won't even get that far - just a black screen as it boots and it stays like that until I switch it off.

The only BIOS setting I have changed is to enable the XMP profile.

When the BIOS settings are set to "AUTO" everything seems to work fine. It just doesn't work at all or is not stable for more than 30 minutes when the XMP profile is active.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

OK just in case anyone actually reads these forums - here's what I've managed to do for myself so far.

1. Have flashed my BIOS to latest version - no increase in system stability when XMP is active

2. Checked my motherboard manual to make sure the RAM is in the ideal slots

3. Moved the RAM in to different slots to see if it made a difference (it hasn't)

4. Made sure that temps are within normal ranges - (I have a watercooling solution) so with all cores under 100% load after about 30 mins CPU doesn't get above 65C (interestingly the temp doesn't differ more than about +3C with XMP activated.

My conclusion so far is that the RAM itself is fine - logically it must be if my system is perfectly stable for day/weeks on end without restarting when the BIOS settings are set to AUTO, right?

Therefore it must be the XMP settings that are not quite ideal for my setup.

I'd really like to run my RAM at the speed advertised so again - any suggestions are welcome.

So through extensive trial and error, I've managed to find some stable settings:

I had to manually set the memory timings (rather than use XMP).

This allows me to leave the BUS Speed at 133 rather than the XMP suggested 144

So now I can take the speed of the memory up to 1600Mhz - anything higher (1800-2000Mhz) and its Blue Screen of death time.

Just can't understand the point of XMP if it doesn't work!!

As you can see in the below image - I have used slightly lower latency memory timings than the manufacturer has stated this memory should run at.

I am running the RAM at a lower Mhz rating - will this be ok?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/avatar78/CPUMem.png

will a mod please make this question ito a new thread?

Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit

Intel®-ATX Desktop Motherboard 1600/1333MHz (Socket LGA 775)-BOXDP45SG

Corsair-Dominator 4-Pack 2GB PC3-12800 DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit-CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

BFG GeForce 9800 GT Video Card SLI Bundle - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor BX80569Q9550 - 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

In the NVIDA control panal I do not see the option to enable or disable SLI

I took these cards out of my other computer, on my old computer these cards SHOWED an option to enable SLI, I no longer have this option, how do I get it back.

NOTE that YES I do have the connecter SLI bridge connected to the cards.

Also for some reason the computer thinks it has DDR2 Ram when it is actually DDR3 Ram

Thanks in advance.

also note that iwill post duplicates of thisi in both Intel and NVIDA forums... I will link them

will a mod please make this question ito a new thread?

Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit

Intel®-ATX Desktop Motherboard 1600/1333MHz (Socket LGA 775)-BOXDP45SG

Corsair-Dominator 4-Pack 2GB PC3-12800 DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit-CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

BFG GeForce 9800 GT Video Card SLI Bundle - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor BX80569Q9550 - 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

In the NVIDA control panal I do not see the option to enable or disable SLI

I took these cards out of my other computer, on my old computer these cards SHOWED an option to enable SLI, I no longer have this option, how do I get it back.

NOTE that YES I do have the connecter SLI bridge connected to the cards.

Also for some reason the computer thinks it has DDR2 Ram when it is actually DDR3 Ram

Thanks in advance.

also note that iwill post duplicates of thisi in both Intel and NVIDA forums... I will link them

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=161111

http://communities.intel.com/thread/11289

Archived