Corsair Community

Something odd I noticed with NF7

I have noticed that when your trying to get some really high FSB on this board, it really doesn't like high....or even slightly higher core voltages. For instance, I can set my FSB to 230 FSB and lower the multiplier to 9 which keeps me in spec. @ 2070Mhz. Now, if I boot with default core voltages, the board will boot up just fine.....however, if I raise the core voltages much at all (not raising the multiplier still) the board will lock up right away. At first I thought this might be due to the CPU not liking the added voltage.....which it could be....but then I read this post of a determind overclocker going well beyond the limits: [url]http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=techmobocpu&Number=2215674&fpart=1[/url] It's a long post, but it has a lot of interesting things in it. His system isn't as bad with this issue as mine seems to be, but his is also very modded and water cooled. He seemed to have tracked it down to the board not being able to keep some of the voltages steady.......as I notice for sure with the core voltages. I can set mine to 1.95v and it will drop all the way to 1.85 under full loads......now thats some voltage instability. Oh, this is also with a Vantec 520w power supply and +5v rails that never go below 4.95v. Lots of others have seen this issue as well. Anyone else seen issues like this?

• 4 months later...
yep i got the nf7-s 2.0 running at 217fsb x 11 ( 7 3 3 2 ) xms 3500 my vcore is set to 1.93 but moves around anywhere from 1.83 to 1.91 , staying mostly near 1.86 um using a seasonic super tornado 300watt psu. This is an extremely high quality psu that is rock solid on VERY heavily loaded systems so im not doubting my wattage at all. Anyone has a better suggestion for my FSB and ram timings? Always looking to squeeze out more speed. cpu is 2700xp btw.

• 1 year later...
The nf7-s rev 2.0 board is not a very good board for overclocking, I have tried the merlin bios mod and many other bios mods. My sugestions... do not exceed 210 fsb on that board for any reason it will fail . use new bios from abit 2.6 or 26 same one It is however super stable under 420 fsb given your have quality ram if you over clock and or like it you will absolutely love the lanparty boards from msi and they over clock way better some hit 250 fsb on value ram.

[quote name='mjs1231'] if you over clock and or like it you will absolutely love the lanparty boards from msi and they over clock way better some hit 250 fsb on value ram.[/QUOTE] DFI lanparty. The Abit NF7 is actually a decent overclocker, i've had 240MHz with a rev 1.2 in dual channel mode, though its an extremely rare case i guess. My 2.0s do at least 230MHz, much much better than my sad sad sad AN7 that goes unstable at anything over 205MHz -ish. :cool:

Yeah I would say the NF7 is a pretty good overclocker. :D: I'm currently running what's in my sig and it is a stable system. I'm hesitant about going any farther on the FSB cause I'm only running Corsair 3200C2. Any recommendations/experience on getting anymore FSB outta this stuff? :evil:

• 3 weeks later...
nf7 oc's fine, for the most part. there are exceptions though to every rule. i have done ~242, 2-2-2 i have seen others do 260-270 (high latency). and then others that have done 230-240 (lower latency, myself included). keep trying (use modded bios revisions), and youll get there:)

abit nf7/s v2.0 are the best skt A overclockers theer are IMO couple the board with a capable cpu, like the mobile barton.. any model will do as long as its barton, and 45W or less ive had my boot n bench @ 230x11, with 1.65 vcore.. currently i have ddr500.. so the rams not a limit.. i just think to unlock this board potential you need all your other components to be capable.. and a desktop cpu is going to be a limiting factor from the get go (no matter how low that multi is)

[quote name='TheCleaner']abit nf7/s v2.0 are the best skt A overclockers theer are IMO [/QUOTE] actually they don't come even close to dfi lanparty/infinity nf2... many people have pushed their axp mobiles up to 260-270 fsb with that boards... dfi - the true oc-king...

[quote name='high5']actually they don't come even close to dfi lanparty/infinity nf2... many people have pushed their axp mobiles up to 260-270 fsb with that boards... dfi - the true oc-king...[/QUOTE] hmm, cant argue with that.. but either way, in terms of overclocking, theyr both good overcloking baord.. i just cant understand why abit are now shipping out these terrible nf7-s2g's.. bad move.. like, not even compatible with mobiles.. :mad:

Archived