Corsair Community

Problem with CM2X2048-8500C5D

Tofflan

Hey!

So I bought new memory from using 2x CM2X1024-6400 to 2x CM2X2048-8500C5D.

Since I had some problems with my first memory (thought it would be able to go with 4x CM2X1024-6400 with my motherboard, which it didn't) I checked up compability with my motherboard this time.

I installed the memory in slot 1 and 3 and set the timings of the memory in bios. After some looking I also found where to set the RAM voltage to 2.1 V.

Since I am pretty much a beginner at this I am unsure if I did set the timings correctly, there are multiple options where I can set the timing which I just left as auto (check the pictures), and those might be needed to be set as well.

The problem I am having is that the computer freezes from time to time (pretty often, but not necessarily when using the system with high load).

I have not done any memory test, I thought it would be best to write here first to see if there is some basic thing I have done wrong, before not be able to use my computer for 12 hours or so.

I am adding two pictures from BIOS with the settings I have atm, anything I should change?

Pic 1: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3421/img9867l.jpg

pic 2: http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5167/img9866i.jpg

Thanks alot!

just a couple basics, do you have the latest MB BIOS? and have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults and input your settings again?

if yes to both, then try running memtest (link on left) on 1 stick at a time to see if there is any issues with the RAM itself.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

So I have updated my BIOS to the latest version. Sadly the memory problems still exist. Not in the same extent as before, now the computer freezes about once per day, before it was ten times per day. Any theories why?

I will run a memory diagnostic when I have the time (to be without my computer).

Cheers!

Alright, so I have done my memorytest.

After 4 rounds with memtest86 and a night spent, with both sticks in, no problem showed up.

I don't know where the problem lies, the computer restarts 2-3 times per day with extensive use, lot less than before the BIOS upgrade. I can play games with no problem, so it doesn't restart more during heavy load.

One thing that might be a coincidence is that I have played Spotify every time the computer hangs. It isn't right when I start up Spotify though, but somewhere during the music.

Anyone know what to do next?

make sure your Adobe flash and Java are up to date. seems you are not alone. many users complain of crashes when the stupid pop-up ads begin to cycle.

have you tried Pandora instead? also check your event viewer under application, may be a clue there with a yellow exclamation mark.

good luck and please report back after you update flash player and java.

So, I updated Java and Flash, without any success.

I can clearly see now that the freezes are due to some programs running. Spotify was one program (freezes after a while, ~1h tops).

The second program that messes with me now is uTorrent. Keeping it open without downloading anything isn't a problem, but as soon as I start download things (5 minutes tops), the computer will freeze.

Sounds like strange problems, recommendations?

Archived