Corsair Community

XMS2 problems with MSI P45 Platinum!

PowerPie5000

Hi all, ive recently changed both my motherboard and PC case as one of my old systems was a Dell :roll: I bought an MSI P45 Platinum motherboard and according to both MSI and Corsair it's supposed to be fully compatible with my existing Corsair XMS2 memory... but i get constant crashes and i am wondering if it's to do with voltages?

My Memory is Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5 (DDR2 800mhz) i have 2 x 2gb sticks running in dual channel. On the package and memory it clearly states 1.8V but my motherboard keeps auto detecting it as 1.95V and i cannot seem to change it! Is this a problem or should the memory run fine at 1.95V? The timings are 5-5-5-18-2T.

This system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3ghz

4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz (CM2X2048-6400C5 - supposed to be 1.8V)

MSI P45 Platinum motherboard

2 x 1gb ATI Radeon 4850 graphics in Crossfire (Powercolor brand)

Western Digital 500gb SATA hard drive

Hitachi DVDRW/CDRW optical drive

850W Cooler Master Real Power Pro PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Everything was working perfectly when installed in the old Dell system and now after changing the case and motherboard it seems to crash quite often (i also sometimes get a black screen with buzzing sounds coming from the speakers)! The only thing i can see that is different are the memory voltages.

Can anybody help me as i don't know if it's a RAM issue or maybe my motherboard is junk? Cheers :):

Don't worry about my first post as i've discovered the crappy MSI motherboard is at fault! I guess that's what happens when you buy cheap crap!

The board has been supplying too much voltage to both the memory and CPU with no way of changing it within the bios (everything greyed out!)! One of my ATI cards just got fried but i was able to rescue all the other components... I doubt MSI would admit to the fault or replace my GPU :[pouts:

It's the boards fault and not the PSU as that is happily running in a Phenom II test system right now displaying the correct voltages and temps. Anyway... can my 1.8V rated Corsair XMS2 RAM (CM2X2048-6400C5) safely run at around 1.9-2.0V for future overclocking reference :sunglasse

• 4 weeks later...
Did you check the voltages (using a voltmeter) of your PSU maybe is not that "real power" as titled? I will do that just in case.... My previous Thermaltake "Thoughpower" 700W did that to me(big voltage oscilations) but didn't burned anything out.....

Archived