Corsair Community

Any advantage of updating firmware of RAID 0 PAIR?

Kursun

I have recently installed Windows 7 (64 bit) on a pair of Corsair P64 (CMFSSD-64GBG2D) configured as RAID0.

I understand TRIM is not supported in RAID. Is there any advantage for me to update the SSD’s firmware to the new firmware that supports TRIM?

I second this question, and expand upon it - is it actually an advantage to take apart the raid array to implement TRIM when available? I'm offering one free internet for anyone who can offer some data on what to do here. Please address Kursan's question before mine - I'm trying not to threadjack....

Is there any advantage for me to update the SSD’s firmware to the new firmware that supports TRIM?

IMO it depends on what else the newer firmware fixes/provides. We'll have to look at the update log to make that determination. With that said, I usually stay current even if I'm not experiencing any issues. It's one less thing to do if I do have a problem and need to get support (often a vendor asks if you are running the current version). YMMV.

Thank you for your reply Pnutts. Actually I’m a firmware update and backup fanatic. I update firmwares of most of my devices regularly. I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 for backups. I don’t mind the work involved in backing-up drive (I do it every week for my home PC anyway), deleting the RAID, updating firmware, reforming the RAID, and restoring. Though Acronis is quite dependable, I still find backup and restoring a boot drive a creepy business. I remember some “corrupt image” error codes from Norton Ghost when restoring back in the old days…

• Corsair Employees
The answer is NO the firmware will not offer any improvement on this drive in a RAID array. The trim command in Windows 7 will need a few things in place to support that feature one of which is the drive it self the other is the controller driver and to my knowledge all raid controller drivers do not provide support for that function at this time. I would suggest using the professional version of Diskeeper 2010 as that will offer the best chance of maintaining drive performance over long term use.

Archived