Corsair Community

Can't Get DDR 3 1600 To Run Faster Than 1066

DennisC10853

I have a 4gb set of Corsair Dominator TW3X4G1600C9D, DDR3 1600 memory. They are installed in a MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 board with a AM3 550 dual core cpu. I have the timings correctly set in the bios which are 9-9-9-24 2T and the voltage stated on the memory is 1.80 which is where I have the voltage set. This memory is still being reported as 1066 and must be running at that from what I read in CPU-Z. I'm much better at overclocking and setting up memory etc. on Intel boards but I thought I would try a AMD board for a change. So, does anyone know why the proper settings are not getting me the 1600? Oh, I have the AMD 550 mildly OC'd to 3.7GHz running cool and stable. I must be missing some kind of AMD secrets about memory or something.

I have never checked the specific compatibility of components with Intel stuff and I have never had a problem, but that's Intel. This new journey into AMD stuff is going to be fun I guess. AMD only recommends one MSI board for that processor which seems kind of limiting. I never had that kind of problem with Intel and Corsair memory or any manufacturers boards.

its kinda like buying tires for your car, there are usually only 1 or 2 sizes the car maker will support for that model.

sure you can put off spec tires on the car but it may drive like crap.

thats my loose interpretation of your unfortunate circumstance.

also keep in mind TW3X4G1600C9D is high performance memory and is not like regular off the shelf value select ram that works in almost anything ive thrown it in. there is a bit more involved in choosing high performance parts to make sure they all play together nicely.

the max speed ram that CPU supports (without overclocking) is 1333 so 1600 ram if it works will have to run slower than designed and IMHO is a waste of your hard earned cash.

if you are lucky you may find a way in the BIOS to enable 1333 speeds but if not i hope (dont take this the wrong way) you do a bit more research before purchacing your next high performance parts.

good luck!!

Archived