Corsair Community

P256 SSD “Performance Recovery” feature minimum firmware?

bosudfaogha

Hi,

Quick question. I have a P256 SSD that has hit the wall. Write speeds are SLOOOOW. I tried following the instructions for the “Performance Recovery” feature (idle garbage collection), but it did not help.

What firmware was this feature added on? Is it only the latest firmware? I have VBM1801Q.

I guess I am going to have to wipe, upgrade the firmware and reload my backup to get my write speeds back? I am running Windows XP.

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results

Drive Index : 165.14MB/s

Detailed Benchmark Results

Buffered Read : 230.36MB/s

Sequential Read : 214.48MB/s

Random Read : 187.31MB/s

Buffered Write : 108.57MB/s

Sequential Write : 16MB/s

Random Write : 4MB/s

Random Access Time : 676µs

Drive

Drive Type : Hard Disk

Total Size : 238.47GB

Free Space : 74.74GB, 31%

Cluster Size : 4kB

Thanks!

Copied from the P Series sticky post, just above this one in the sticky section:

Q: Will the performance of my P-Series SSD reduce over time?

A: P-Series SSDs with firmware VBM18C1Q offers a “Performance Recovery” feature, which allows the controller to maintain optimal performance over time. For this feature to function the SSD must have at least 15% free space available and be formatted using the NTFS file system. The PC or laptop must then be cold-booted (i.e. turned on from a full power-off state, not a ‘reset’) and left in an idle state for one hour, after which time full performance will be restored.

Yup. Saw that. I was just wondering if that feature appeared earlier. The language doesn't say that that feature was NEW in VBM18C1Q, just that it exists in VBM18C1Q.

Anyway, I guess I'll flash the device and find out.

Just to confirm, the “Performance Recovery” feature will allow my drive to continue to perform well over time while I am running Windows XP. I don't have to upgrade to Win7 to make use of it. Right?

Results... I ended up not being able to re-image my XP drive back after the firmware upgrade, so I gave up and installed Win7.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6889/bench3.png

Good stuff!

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results

Drive Index : 216.74MB/s

Windows Experience Index

Current Drive : 6.8

Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Detailed Benchmark Results

Buffered Read : 225.35MB/s

Sequential Read : 232MB/s

Random Read : 210.27MB/s

Buffered Write : 132MB/s

Sequential Write : 208.78MB/s

Random Write : 162.41MB/s

Random Access Time : 447µs

Archived