Corsair Community

Random Shutdowns

verysandwich

Regarding my Corsair vx550w.

So I recently got my motherboard back from the manufacturer after some repairs (chip that manages the battery died). So its factory tested to be working. I reinstalled windows 7 to be safe and I have purchased a UPS (810W) as I had planned for a while, other than that nothing else has changed to what was previously a stable system.

It's been about a week now and I've had about 4 random shutdowns during times of non-load events. No BSOD, No Overheating. I can not recreate these shutdowns. Restarting the computer requires that I reset the power switch on my power supply after which i can use my computer's power button

I've eliminated some possible culprits: It can't be my power outlet since I have a UPS and it has reported no errors and has never reported excessive load. I can't be my mobo hardware (haven't ruled out BIOS settings yet) since its been factory tested. I have been able to play intensive games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 BETA with 100 percent stability and no crashing. So its not my system load exceeding 550W and its likely not my graphics card (GTX 260) although I won't rule it out knowing nVIDIA. My 4GB RAM is seated properly, as far as I can tell its fine (its fully utilized during gameplay), and memtest shows no errors. The only four left are the CPU and related bios settings, Hard Drive, OS/Drivers and PSU. I came here to hopefully eliminate the PSU as a possibility.

Windows 7 has been logging these events as EventID 41 "Kernel - Power"

Are random shut downs like these characteristic of a PSU failure/error?

I was having similar issues with my HX620w PSU that I am in the process of RMA'ing. Same event codes are showing up in Windows 7 event viewer that you are showing when I had my HX620w installed. I am also using a GTX 260 as you are.

Question I have, my old HX620w is said to be plenty of power for the GTX 260.. is this correct? All the forums I have checked out say it is.. I was having other issues with HX as well though. In my BIOS, the +12v was only reporting ~10.5v or so. And a few other of the voltage reading were short of where they should be. Making me believe I had a bad PSU.

I had my HX620w for nearly 3 1/2 years, bought back in August of 2006. It served me well over the time, best PSU I have ever owned. I am getting a HX650w as a replacement from Corsairs RMA service since my old PSU was still under it's 5 year warranty. Thank you for that!! Hopefully the HX650w will hold up to the HX620 in reliability.

I was having similar issues with my HX620w PSU that I am in the process of RMA'ing. Same event codes are showing up in Windows 7 event viewer that you are showing when I had my HX620w installed. I am also using a GTX 260 as you are.

Question I have, my old HX620w is said to be plenty of power for the GTX 260.. is this correct? All the forums I have checked out say it is.. I was having other issues with HX as well though. In my BIOS, the +12v was only reporting ~10.5v or so. And a few other of the voltage reading were short of where they should be. Making me believe I had a bad PSU.

I had my HX620w for nearly 3 1/2 years, bought back in August of 2006. It served me well over the time, best PSU I have ever owned. I am getting a HX650w as a replacement from Corsairs RMA service since my old PSU was still under it's 5 year warranty. Thank you for that!! Hopefully the HX650w will hold up to the HX620 in reliability.

So you suggest I should check the output of each rail in the BIOS and see if it matches the spec in the manual? That's a good idea actually, I never thought of that. I'll add that to my list. it could still be dropping power during idle states when its not supposed to.

Regarding whether your PSU can handle a GTX260, my PSU seems to handle load just fine. It requires 36A across the +12v rail.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump.

After about a month of trying to figure this out and reinstalling windows, trying different drivers. Its been hell. These random shutoffs are making go insane trying to figure out what it is.

Last night I did a fresh install of windows. All of the drivers were fresh as well. All of them being the latest drivers. After the fresh install I went to sleep without installing any applications. Today at noon I was able to boot up into windows to just let it sit for a little while. It shut off unexpectidly by itself in the evening around 6:30. Power button on case didn't do anything. I reset the power supply switch. Tried the case switch again, motherboard POSTed with audible beep. Windows booted stating impromper shutdown, went to desktop. Went to check event log, but the computer shut down before i could even click. Repeated prior reset process. Motherboard POSTed but shut down before it even started booting windows. Waited 10 minutes. Reset the power supply, turned computer on, quickly popped memtest disc into tray but the computer shutdown even before tray finished closing. Now i can't even turn my computer on.

I'm pretty sure the power supply is dead now. I need to RMA.

Archived