Corsair Community

Corsair policy on support/upgrades

Crazykiwi

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER X-SERIES UPGRADE COMPLAINT!

I have just landed the first part of what could be a much larger order (well it is for me a part-time system builder) and I will need to purchase a lot of SSD drives (~30 is a LOT for me for an initial order).

Now this customer is going to be important for ongoing business and I am wondering if there is any stated policy on the supply of updates to SSD drives. I can't find anywhere if the new (almost-on-the-market) Nova drives are upgradeable in any way should a firmware issue be found and there is no way I am going to purchase without it.

So I am genuinely trying to find out what the policy is for updates to SSD drives.

Now the Nova supposedly will use the Indilinx Barefoot controller which (I believe - please correct me if I am wrong) is the same as the X-series. Will Corsair have to wait for Indilinx to produce updates or will they do it them selves? Has anything improved over the current X-series upgrade process?

So to summarise... can anyone tell me:

1. Are the new Nova drives capable of having their firmware upgraded?

2. Is there any official statement on how upgrades are handled?

3. Should I be considering another Corsair drive instead?

Many Thanks.

That's right, I am assuming that TRIM will ship on the new drives

My question is focussed on my ability to support my customer by selecting components that have an upgrade path and are maintainable.

There will always be software bugs and there will always be innovation. I want to have my expectations on upgradeability set correctly from the outset.

Thanks.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer CK - there is nothing worse than letting your customers down as they have a tendency to look elsewhere.

I believe that every company should have an upgrade policy when it comes to firmware for a hardware device. Simply saying "we will have one if and when it is deemed necessary" is a cop-out and gives little incentive to go with a supplier that adopts this attitude.

My business is in developing websites - I 'never' put a website live until the customer is 100% happy and I always give them 6 months of free updates with an understanding that after this time they can have their site updated but there will be a charge depending on the amount of work involved. I know this is not hardware, but the principle is the same. This is why I have retained customers for over ten years and why 99% of my new business comes from referrals.

Fingers crossed for you :-)

• Corsair Employees
1. Are the new Nova drives capable of having their firmware upgraded?

A: NO both Nova and Reactor drives will not have firmware updates. However, both drives will have Windows 7 Trim support and Garbage Collection.

2. Is there any official statement on how upgrades are handled?

A: NO not required there will not be any updates for these products.

Archived