Corsair Community

post failure with X58 and 2 kits of TR3X6G1600C7D

S2R800

Hi, Ive always been a fan of corsair but this is the first time ive had to sign up to try and problem sove my issue

I bought 2x TR3X6G1600C7D so i have 12GB total taking up all available slots on my board.

I had at first 6GB (one pack) installed that ran perfectly stable at its XMP profile, 1600@1.65v and timmings 7-7-7-20

When i installed the second pack I had a compleat boot failure, it wouldnt get into post or even give me a screen signal. after the reboot and the notice of "overclock fail" went into setup again and played around with the settings.

Suffice to say I have what seems to be running stable at 1600@1.65v timmings 9-9-9-24. It was the timmings that killed it, but i dont understand as I have 2 C7 kits. Also whats odd is it will not run stable at 1333 no matter what sub settings selected, sometimes it would BSOD on windows startup or 5 minuts in.

So my question is. Why is 2 kits of TR3X6G1600C7D not running stable at its rated speed settings and what can I do to fix this problem

MB BIOS Version 0210

thnx

• Corsair Employees
The rated speed for the memory is in a kit of 3. When adding 3 more modules to the system it does put extra strain on the memory controller which is why you had to relax the timings to 9-9-9-24 to run. It is not a limitation of the memory but of the memory controller on the CPU. You may be able to overclock the cpu memory controller with more voltage to allow you to run a tighter timing but that is done at your own risk.

So my question is. Why is 2 kits of TR3X6G1600C7D not running stable at its rated speed settings and what can I do to fix this problem

Actually, the RAM GUY and your experiments are right on the money. JEDEC standards for DDR3 memory controllers recommend running only one double-ranked module per channel at the full DDR3-1600 speed. It's not just Intel's problem - but everyone else's as well. All companies have to comply with the JEDEC recommendations. If you want tighter timings with all six modules, you might have to lower the memory clock speed to the DDR3-1333 level. Officially, the Socket 1366 memory controller supports only up to DDR3-1066, according to Intel.

In other words, you will not be able to run more than three memory modules at the full DDR3-1600 speed with the tightest rated latency timings.

Thanks allot guys, at least i know whats going on now.

without changing any voltage settings I have got it running stable at 8-7-7-20 it is only the CAS Latency that i had to lax. so im happy at that.

thanks again for the info.

Archived