Corsair Community

Dual channel trouble with GA-P55A-UD3?

filledvoid

I'm trying to install 8GB of RAM in a GA-P55A-UD3 (see profile specs). Since my CPU is a Core i5, I've disabled XPM and manually set the voltage to 1.64V and the freq to 1333Mhz. With all 4 sticks installed, the BIOS recognizes the presence of all of them, but only 4GB are actually usable. Windows also shows the same thing. I've attached a bunch of images of the BIOS (see bios_images.zip). Here are memory settings pages:

settings_overview: settings overview page.

settings_freq: frequency settings.

settings_memory: general memory settings.

settings_voltage: voltage settings.

settings_channel_a: detailed memory settings.

Do these settings look good? Here are the overview pages for a number of different configurations:

test_slots_1_and_3: with 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3.

test_slots_3: with 1 stick in slot 3.

test_slots_all: with all 4 sticks.

Notice in "test_slots_1_and_3" that the BIOS shows the memory installed in slots 1 and 3, but then the "enabled" section shows that slot *2* is usable!? Do you think that's just a BIOS coding bug? Also, another symptom is that installing just 1 stick in slot 1 doesn't work at all (I've tried all 4 sticks). I've run memtest on most of these sticks, so at least one of them should have worked flawlessly. Another BIOS problem? Sure hope I don't need to RMA the RAM or the motherboard. :confused:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

fv

EDIT: I'm using the F5 version of the BIOS (upgraded from F4).

Your pics were corrupted. Please attach them to a post instead of zipping them.

Also, DISABLE Legacy USB support when running Memtest, and please use Memtest86+ v4.00. Also as a side note, it's not recommended to mix kits that haven't been tested together.

Sure, I can repeat the test disabling legacy USB. I'm already using a brand-new copy of Memtest86+ v4.00.

What do you mean by "mix kits"? I bought 2 identical memory kits: CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. Each kit contains 2 sticks of 2GB for a total of 8GB. Is that an untested configuration?

Thanks for the quick reply!

fv

Sure, I can repeat the test disabling legacy USB. I'm already using a brand-new copy of Memtest86+ v4.00.

What do you mean by "mix kits"? I bought 2 identical memory kits: CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. Each kit contains 2 sticks of 2GB for a total of 8GB. Is that an untested configuration?

Thanks for the quick reply!

fv

Corsair has not tested any dual-channel kits with more than one module per memory controller channel.

Second, if you use both kits simultaneously, you will have to lower the memory speed to DDR3-1333 or lower for best stability. No current JEDEC-compliant dual-channel memory controller can officially run all four modules at the full DDR3-1600 speed.

In addition, there is a possibility that your two kits might be of different revisions - each with IC chips which might not play together well with IC chips on the other kit.

Yes, I'm aware of the requirement to run the memory at 1333 Mhz. That's what I'm trying to use. That's rather disturbing about the different chip problem. I suppose it makes sense that Corsair can't test all combinations (who could?), but, in theory, such a combination "should work" meaning that there should be some way to configure the modules to work together. That's what a spec is all about. :)

fv

Yes, I'm aware of the requirement to run the memory at 1333 Mhz. That's what I'm trying to use. That's rather disturbing about the different chip problem. I suppose it makes sense that Corsair can't test all combinations (who could?), but, in theory, such a combination "should work" meaning that there should be some way to configure the modules to work together. That's what a spec is all about. :)

Yes, memory chip suppliers are subject to change without notice. And even if you bought two dual-channel kits of the exact same part number on the same day, there is a chance that one of the kits is of a slightly different revision number than the other kit. This is because very often Corsair and most other memory module manufacturers manufacture multiple different revisions - some of which are not fully compatible with others - simultaneously. And a lot of times the resellers do not check their inventory as often as they would have liked; as a result, one of the kits might have been recently shipped to the reseller while the other kit might have been in the reseller's inventory for weeks or months.

Ah, I see. Is there any way to check if these sticks have the same chips? The sticker on each chip has the exact same info, but I assume that's not sufficient? See the attached image and notice that they are all version 2.3.

To answer Wired's suggestion, I've disabled legacy USB support, and I've ran memtest v4 on all four sticks individually. All four sticks PASS, so that's a good thing. :biggrin:

Keep in mind that my problem is actually more severe than just the 8GB issue (notice my first post). I can't even get 4GB to work with just 2 sticks (which came together in the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 kit)! I only get 4GB "usable" if I install all *4* sticks. This memory is clearly marked as compatible with my motherboard by the Corsair Memory Configurator, but I can't even get that to work. Any ideas?

Thanks!

fv

DSC04948.JPG.3b009069cb485d6b87a8683232a480a9.JPG

To answer Wired's suggestion, I've disabled legacy USB support, and I've ran memtest v4 on all four sticks individually. All four sticks PASS, so that's a good thing. :biggrin:

Actually, one or even two passes in Memtest aren't enough. You'll need to run the test for at least 10 passes.

Well, I don't really have 7 hours of spare time to run 10 passes on all 4 sticks. :eek: Incidentally, I'm not convinced that's the issue, because the symptoms point otherwise: the motherboard doesn't even get to POST with even *one* stick in slot 1 when the exact same stick works in slot 3?! Something is seriously wrong there. Something much more severe than a memory bit error that only shows up after 10 runs.

fv

RJLeong65 wrote:

I'm just a computer enthusiast who loves to help out others...

Funny! I've been following this thread since it identifies almost to the "t" the exact problem that I've been having, but help is not what the original poster has received nor is it what I'm receiving as I follow this thread.

Is there a Corsair representative that will step up to the plate and assist with this? I for one have only bought Corsair memory for as long as I can remember and have done so because I've always been impressed with the customer service. This is slowly changing.

RJLeong65 wrote:

I'm just a computer enthusiast who loves to help out others...

Funny! I've been following this thread since it identifies almost to the "t" the exact problem that I've been having, but help is not what the original poster has received nor is it what I'm receiving as I follow this thread.

Is there a Corsair representative that will step up to the plate and assist with this? I for one have only bought Corsair memory for as long as I can remember and have done so because I've always been impressed with the customer service. This is slowly changing.

Lognom1989, if you need assistance, you'll need to start your own thread and list your complete system specifications as requested at registration.

Also, RJLeong has given accurate advice to this point. So, other than to parrot his replies, there is nothing to add at this time. The issue is that the modules were not purchased togther so we cannot guarantee that they will run togther, regardless of model number or revision.

Yes, I'm trying to get 8GB working. However, as I've pointed out earlier, I've been trying other configurations which are also not working:

1) One stick of 2GB RAM in slot 1 does not work.

2) Two sticks of 2GB RAM (for a total of 4GB) in slot 1 and 3 only gives 2GB usable.

Notice that both of these are supported configurations according to Corsair's own website. Please take a look at my RAM settings, because I still have not received confirmation that my settings are even correct. I've changed the frequency to 1333MHz and the voltage to 1.64V and it still doesn't work. In fact, I've even tried lowering the memory frequency to 800MHz with no success. I've tried underclocking the CPU as low as possible (around 1.6GHz). I've tried adjusting the CAS, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS to the most relaxed values possible (15, 15, 15, 31, respectively). I've tried increasing the QPI voltage all the way to 1.35V. I've ran memtest. I've tried shuffling around the memory sticks. I've tried a lot of different things, but it's all just shots in the dark based on random posts that I've read on this forum and elsewhere.

Honestly, I'd be happy to conclude that it is not the Corsair RAM that's the problem, but it is in fact the Gigabyte hardware or BIOS. But for me to make that judgment, I need to be 100% sure that all my RAM settings are exactly what Corsair recommends and supports. Remember: I'm testing Corsair supported configurations here, and I'm still getting nothing. Surely someone has tried the GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard with BIOS revision F5 with one or two sticks of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and had more success than this?!

So let's drop the question about 8GB, and focus on trying to get 4GB working correctly.

fv

Ah, I see. Is there any way to check if these sticks have the same chips? The sticker on each chip has the exact same info, but I assume that's not sufficient? See the attached image and notice that they are all version 2.3.
To clarify, do you mean they're both v2.3?

1) One stick of 2GB RAM in slot 1 does not work.

2) Two sticks of 2GB RAM (for a total of 4GB) in slot 1 and 3 only gives 2GB usable.

Honestly, I'd be happy to conclude that it is not the Corsair RAM that's the problem, but it is in fact the Gigabyte hardware or BIOS. But for me to make that judgment, I need to be 100% sure that all my RAM settings are exactly what Corsair recommends and supports. Remember: I'm testing Corsair supported configurations here, and I'm still getting nothing. Surely someone has tried the GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard with BIOS revision F5 with one or two sticks of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and had more success than this?!

If none of the stick will work in slot 1 by themselves, the slot's probably borked, although it could be the memory controller and/or BIOS (e.g. upgrade / downgrade the BIOS version). May want to check that the CPU doesn't have any bent pins.

The memory should be detected just fine at default settings, so that's a non-issue if you're testing one stick in the same slot with the BIOS set to defaults.

HOWEVER, let's clarify something: Which slot are you referring to as slot 1? Is it the same slot as referred to in your motherboard manual (page attached), or are you referring to the one closest or farthest from the CPU?

memory.thumb.JPG.ae8bbe7b036ba3ad9e7537ab15685952.JPG

To clarify, do you mean they're both v2.3?

Yep.

If none of the stick will work in slot 1 by themselves, the slot's probably borked, although it could be the memory controller and/or BIOS (e.g. upgrade / downgrade the BIOS version). May want to check that the CPU doesn't have any bent pins.

OK, that's good to know. I'll check the pins tonight.

The memory should be detected just fine at default settings, so that's a non-issue if you're testing one stick in the same slot with the BIOS set to defaults.

Also good to know.

HOWEVER, let's clarify something: Which slot are you referring to as slot 1? Is it the same slot as referred to in your motherboard manual (page attached), or are you referring to the one closest or farthest from the CPU?

The slot that's labeled "DDR3_1" on the motherboard and in the manual. Physically it's the second slot from the CPU.

Thanks!

fv

Ahhh, the sweet smell of 8GBs in the evening! ;): Wired, thanks so much for the suggestion! You were right on. There was exactly one CPU pin on the edge that was bent. Man alive, are LGA sockets super sensitive or is it just me?! My vision is quite good, but I could only be sure it was straight by reflecting a flashlight off the pins and comparing the shimmer with the other pins. :p:

Thanks again!

fv

Ahhh, the sweet smell of 8GBs in the evening! ;): Wired, thanks so much for the suggestion! You were right on. There was exactly one CPU pin on the edge that was bent. Man alive, are LGA sockets super sensitive or is it just me?! My vision is quite good, but I could only be sure it was straight by reflecting a flashlight off the pins and comparing the shimmer with the other pins. :p:

Thanks again!

fv

Unfortunately, they are that sensitive :(:

Just out of curiosity, how did you straighten it?

Haha! Not quite. :laughing: I used a razor blade and just barely tapped it to put it back in place. I've attached an image of the bent pin. It's a bit blurry, but you can see how the only indication that it's "bent" is that the color is slightly different. And I took this image before correcting the problem! Amazing.

Thanks again!

fv

bentpin.jpg.4a5e93d52e650871fbb0c4aafd4e3d58.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had exactly the same problem as you described in the post with the same motherboard. Turned out to be a problem with a pin in the cpu slot which was fixed with a razorblade as well. Seems like we have a manufacturer problem. After the pin was straightened all the installed memory was available for user in windows.

@nderssose

Archived