Corsair Community

New MacBook Pro P256 install failure

ghidley

I installed my new P256 SSD into my new MacBook Pro 15" laptop. I selected a fresh install of the Mac OS from the installation DVD, used mac disk utility to create a single full SSD disk partition and formatted it type MacOS Extended (Journaled).

I then proceeded with the MacOS install and was told it would take about 30 minutes. 30 minutes later it indicated it would take about 29 minutes more. 30 minutes later again it indicated it would take about 28 minutes more. Two hours later it seems hung at the 28 minute more mark (not really hung as the mouse still works). I can see from the Install Log that it is not hung, but is taking anywhere from 1-4 minutes to "retrieve" each separate install package (assume that meant reading data from the install DVD). So, thinking I may have a bad OS CD, I tried another Snow Leopard DVD I got for my mac mini and restarted the install process. It still is installing at the same glacial speed.

Any advice on what else to try or should I just send this P256 back to Corsair for replacement? The SN on the package says it is SN: 09470005-12361112.

thanks

greg

There are many documented problems with Macs and SSD's that aren't approved by Apple. the same problems also manifest themselves on some 'normal' magnetic HD's too.

This is a good place to start looking

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2267098&start=0&tstart=0

Basically, if the drive works fine on your Mac in an external USB caddy, but not when attached via SATA, you've been hit by the problem. It appears that the SATA bus is being hit by a pile of CRC errors and it slows it down to a crawl.

No known solution at the moment, and there a shedloads of disgruntled Mac users out there.

hmm i went thought that thread you linked... but i didn't find too much posts about ssds, i know Apple have a problem with high capacity <500gb HDs but i didnt see too much reference to SSD... i have ordered the p256 yesterday and i really hope that i will not have any problems with it... it was a big investment and i will be extremely disappointed if it will not work.

I didnt see too many posts here on the forum about mbp and corsair ssds ... so i really hope that its because there are not aloot of problems with them :).

Good luck from me too! I should have an external sata case tomorrow to try the P256 in and confirm it works ... maybe it won't because I have a bad P256 and I can just return it for a new one ... otherwise I'll take the 15% restocking tip and bail on getting an SSD for my MacBookPro 15 inch. A friend has the 17inch MBP and his P256 works just fine!

greg

well....what version of MBP you have? 5,1 4,1.... do u have all the firmware uptodate? i will give it a try.... but really i am guessing that Corsair is selling more then 2-3 units for Mac users especially MBP.

i am just saying i would expect this forum and apple forum to be flooded with treads about those problems... and i couldn't see too many.....

i have read also that there is a problem with samsong and formatting the ssd with anything except quick format.... maybe ppl dont avoid doing that and damage the performance?

anyway i will have an SSD on my mac :) rather have a Corsair but if i will get problems with it.... i will turn to the competitors either way i will keep you guys posted on how it turned out....

I have a MacBookPro 15 inch 5,4 w/2.53 GHz Core Duo CPU w/4GB memory. It is a week old and has the latest firmware listed on the Apple web site. However, I have confirmed the same failure on a 2nd identical MBP, but I also saw the drive hang on my Sony Windows laptop so I am sending the drive back for replacement to Corsair. I will update this thread once I get a replacement drive and try it out. For now, it looks like a bad drive (Corsair P256 SSD).

thanks

greg

As i mentioned before i just ordered this drive on friday, it suppose to be a 2nd gen p256 drive! i have some concerns but willing to try it out. from what i have read and not only here on the forum it seems like the problem is not the drive it self but driver provided by apple ( reported problems before 1.7 update was released) - after the release of this update i was not able to find so many reports of problems with the drive! .... so hopfully this week i will receive it and install osx! .... cross your fingers for me :P

Biox.

P.S. i would have been happy if one of the admins of the forum would replay here and share some of his experience with mac users and the p256! ...

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but as far as I know there is no one on our forum using a MAC system.

And as far as I know there is no problem with the P-Series drives when used on an Apple or Mac system. However, there were several that did have some issues that seem to have been solved with the latest firmware and or drivers.

Hei,

I promissed you guys to keep you updated! i have received my corsair p256 today.. i have installed SL without any problem - so far everything is running quite fast... i have been running some benchmark and been getting avg read 220 mb/s and write 180-190 mb/s on all the different sizes! ....

i can post some pictures of the benchmarks later on.

Hi,

I've had the P256 installed on my SR MBP for over a month now. This model MBP doesn't support SATA II speeds, but it's maxing out the SATA I speed it seems.

Anyways, glad you got the issues worked out, even with my gimped Sata I connection, the difference between SSD and HDD is amazing. Its like having a whole new Mac all over again. I will be purchasing a new MBP on the next refresh, and swapping in the P256 in there. For now, my MBP is used as my desktop connected to a monitor with all storage going to external hard drives. It makes working with photoshop and lightroom so much faster and enjoyable.

I really hope Apple gets SL to support trim functions soon, I just don't understand why they won't get TRIM command working sooner rather than later.

Archived