Corsair Community

Stuck, need some tipping-help in either direction

Rebellious

My dilemma; i love the Obsidian. Looks fantastic, very clever solutions and what looks like quality all-round. However, i am buying my new computer pre-built from a company that offers pre-built computers (with some limited customization available for the customer) and i do not want to have to mod it too much myself. I have read all the negatives regarding the Obsidian's air cooling and that has left me glancing at a different case (P193), as i do not want to have to get into installing water cooling the first thing i do when i receive the computer. I'm not up to it, not yet and want it ready to go first thing. My question; would this set-up below, stay cool enough in the Obsidian, until i later dare install the H50 over the CPU? I know i know, go ahead and laugh ^^

The three fans ontop, i should be able to add myself. Must be some videos/guides on how to do that stuff, sounds easy enough. But even without the three top fans, would the case stay acceptably cool enough for this set-up?:

Really appreciate any and all serious input on this, thank you :)

I really don't have any heat issues with mine. Though adding different fans might be the thing for you if that is a concern.

Case is huge and you have plenty of room for options to do as you choose. I'm running a i7 920, r2e, 5870 and a crap zalman heatsink and my temps are fine in the case.

But buy you a h50 and put it on there and you will be fine. And perhaps add a fan controller down the line to top it off.

So, basically, i have to put the H50 in there first thing, to be bale to maintain acceptable temps? I've emailed the company and asked if they could install one for me, as well as three extra fans top-side, before they ship it out. However, they seem strangely reluctant adding/removing components that aren't on their "configurator" list, to/from their pre-built systems, unless it's a keyboard or other peripheral.

We'll see what they say, but otherwise i guess i'll try and find some step by step video of how to install the H50 and top-fans and do it myself. Best way to learn, right? Kind of expensive rig to experiment with though, especially the H50, as i'd need to remove the stock CPU cooler first and then apply the H50. Would be great if they could just do that for me when they're already building my system from scratch and all i mean.

Cheers for the reply.

The stock cooler of your choice is a top-town cooler that will spread the heat in all directions. Three fans in the top will make it better, but for optimal airflow, I'd suggest getting a thirdparty cooler that directs the heat straight onto the back fan and out. You'll get more than acceptable temperatures then. Some of the best air coolers can rival the H50.

If you can install fans, and handle a screwdriver, I don't think you should worry about installing a H50, as there's not much more to it. Just remember to remove old TIM if replacing an existing cooler.

I went ahead and chose the Obsidian. So, is my best bet to install the H50, pulling in air at the back, then 2-3 additional fans top-side, pushing out air? That's it, right?

What fans would you guys recommend for the horizontal mounting topside and is it advisable to replace the stock fan underneath the PSU with another brand?

Our testing has shown the best results are gained pulling cool air into the radiator. You can even use 2 fans for a push/pull configuration if you like. And, if you are in an experimental mood, you can of course test it both ways.

I even like the idea of a push/pull 2 fan setup with the H50 in one of the 3 top holes. Then, you can still have the stock 140mm fan pulling cool air in over the MOBO OR exhausting. Either may be good. It would need testing to verify the effectiveness. Also, your H50 2 fan setup will be part of your system exhaust up top. I have not gotten around to testing this yet.

I'll defer to other members for specific fan recommendations for the top exhausts.

Thank you for that input. I think i'll go ahead and try installing the H50 fan in the rear and then 2-3 exhaust fans up-top to begin with, see how that works. First though, i'm very curious to see how the Obsidian does with just the stock fans.

Yes, any recommendations regarding what brand fans to use, would be most welcome :):

Yes, any recommendations regarding what brand fans to use, would be most welcome

My personal choice is Noctua fans, they are quiet and pull lots of air. Either the NF-P12 for max air or the NF-S12B if you want it a little quieter.

Only downside is that they look a little, ehhhh "different" in their pink and purple, :bling: but they are good fans.

Would be good a good choice for your fans in the ceiling of your case where you can't see them :laughing:

Archived