Corsair Community

Questions on compatibility, single/dual channel

Urge

My motherboard supports dual channel memory but using CPUID it shows up as single channel. Is there a way to switch back and forth or do I have issues? I want to buy an additional 2 gigs of the same memory I am using but I have been reading that people are having problems with getting it all to work. Will I have problems? Will it work? What can I do to preempt any issues with an additional 2 gigs of memory?

Thanks for looking,

Urge

Quoting from my original invoice "Corsair XMS2 2GB (2x1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2x2048-6400C4 - Retail" If Corsair still sells this(I think they do) is there any reason not to just add to what I have? I just looked on Newegg and they are selling the exact same memory with the same part # and the identical description (for $6. less than I paid almost 2 yrs ago).

I read my MOBO manual and it says nothing about memory configurations, but it does say that it supports dual channel memory. I have 4 slots that can hold max 2GB each. Should I ask for more info on the DFI forums?

Urge

Alright, well I moved one memory stick from slot 2 to slot 3 and CPUID now says I am in dual channel mode. Thank you Yellowbeard for the online manual info, I never knew that they had another manual other than the one that came with my MOBO. The memory stick has ver. 6.2 on it and I am assuming that is what you are referring to as revisions. Is there a way to find out from Corsair which revision they are currently selling? Newegg doesn't list that data. I am guessing that dual channel memory is an all or nothing proposition i.e. you couldn't have slots 1 & 3 in dual channel mode and slots 2 & 4 in single channel mode. From what I could determine from reading about dual channel memory you can probably expect, at most, a 5% increase in speed over single channel. Are there any other advantages to dual channel? If I go ahead and buy 2 more sticks of what I have then, at worst, I have more memory in single channel mode and possibly it will work in dual channel mode. I have no other machines that can use this memory so buying 4 sticks seems a waste of $ for little gain. I am also aware that running XP I can only utilize 3-3.5 gigs of that memory but it seems worth it to me for over a 50% increase in memory.

Urge

• 3 weeks later...
The memory stick has ver. 6.2 on it and I am assuming that is what you are referring to as revisions. Is there a way to find out from Corsair which revision they are currently selling? Newegg doesn't list that data.

There is no way to determine the revision number from Corsair, either. That's because several different revisions are typically manufactured simultaneously at different Corsair-contracted manufacturing plants around the world (mainly in the Far East, but occasionally in the US). In recently manufactured memory modules, the first character in the revision number refers to the IC chips used on the modules, while the number after the decimal point refers to miscellaneous stuff on the modules, such as the circuit boards or the SPD chips being used. Thus, for example, in newer production memory modules, versions 2.2 and 2.6 refer to modules using ICs from the same manufacturer but vary in other details.

Archived