Corsair Community

Gigabyte FXTA790-UD5 & Corsair 4x1 GB XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 RAM - PC freezing

Prisonbreak94

Hi guys,

Just yesterday I changed my mobo & cpu on my old desktop with 4x1 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 RAM. When I first built my PC; I used to get BSOD's and I came here and was given some BIOS settings which eventually fixed my issues....

Today, with the new Gigabyte FXTA790-UD5 mobo, my PC freezes before I am even able to get to the login screen...I'm just wondering if there are any BIOS settings you would recommend I make, or any way of troubleshooting this issue.

EDIT: I tried to startup my PC with single modules, one by one. I ran each 1GB module one by one and with each module, the PC froze, so I guess that tells us that a RAM stick can't be faulty (unless its all 4 that are faulty which I wud find difficult to believe O.o) and it must be some BIOS tweaking needed? Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks,

• Corsair Employees
With that MB and CPU the fastest you could run the memory would be DDR1333 with out over clocking and with Gigabyte MB's you will need to set the memory Voltage and timings manually. I would suggest with one set of Two modules DDR1333 at 1.7 Volts at Cas 8-8-8-24 2T Command Rate and with 4 modules DDR1066 at Cas 7-7-7-20 1.8 Volts 2T Command Rate.

With that MB and CPU the fastest you could run the memory would be DDR1333 with out over clocking and with Gigabyte MB's you will need to set the memory Voltage and timings manually. I would suggest with one set of Two modules DDR1333 at 1.7 Volts at Cas 8-8-8-24 2T Command Rate and with 4 modules DDR1066 at Cas 7-7-7-20 1.8 Volts 2T Command Rate.

Forgive me for my noobiness on certain terms but, if I understood correctly, you are suggesting that if I am going to use 2 sets of 2x1 GB modules, totalling in 4x1 GB modules, I should set them at 1066MHz at latencies of 7-7-7-20 with 1.8 volts and a 2T command rate... What kind of performance would that give me?

Right now I have got my system running at 1333MHz with latencies of 9-9-9-24 and 1.8V supply to DRAM...I tried to run this at 1600MHz but the system froze again and I'm wondering how I can do that (you said I can overclock it - if you can give a bit more detail I'd be happy). What is your recommendation as I am looking to get the best possible that I can get with these modules.

Thank you,

• Corsair Employees
If the system is stable at 1333MHz you can certainly run it at that. However running 4 modules at 1600MHz relies heavily on the CPU's memory controller. You can try overclocking it by giving the memory controller some extra voltage however you may need to tweak some of the sub timings to achieve this. It is hard to say exactly what will work since every memory controller and motherboard combination is different.

If the system is stable at 1333MHz you can certainly run it at that. However running 4 modules at 1600MHz relies heavily on the CPU's memory controller. You can try overclocking it by giving the memory controller some extra voltage however you may need to tweak some of the sub timings to achieve this. It is hard to say exactly what will work since every memory controller and motherboard combination is different.

I see. Well do you think it's worth trying to see if i can get it working at 1600MHz? Because its stable at 1333MHz and I've had no problems...I don't know how much difference running it at 1600 will make...

Thanks

Archived