Corsair Community

Is My Power Supply Killing My VGA?

Icks

I've recently had to replace my video card because of this:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1219/dscn1433n.th.jpg

TLDR: Is it the power supplies fault?

The problem progresses in several steps. For the first week or two, the computer would crash within 5-10 minutes of playing a game. This would generally only happen once a day; the card continued working after restarting the computer. Eventually, the computer began to crash multiple times a day, and at random intervals. Finally, the crash would occur as soon as the windows logo appeared during startup, and the only way to get around it was by using safe mode and disabling the card.

In less than a month, the replacement suffered the same problem, though the original card lasted for the better part of a year. I know I'll have to replace the card again, but after some experimentation and suport from EVGA I have come to believe that the root of the problem lies with the power supply. Is this a reasonable conclusion? Should I call for an RMA?

• Corsair Employees

Its possibly a PSU issue, but from what you describe I am not 100% certain. If it is indeed a hardware problem then I would suspect either the PSU or the motherboard, since you have had the card replaced already.

Just to be on the safe side, we can try replacing the PSU for you, just use the "Request an RMA" link on the left side of this page.

Archived