Corsair Community

H50 Pump Driving me Mad. Is this Normal

Paradigm007

I recently purchased the Corsair H50. While cooling is decent I am having serious problem dealing with the sound the Pump makes. The Pump is louder than my Gentle Typhoon AP-15(1800rpm) and the sound it makes is eating at my nerves.

The pump is producing this eh, eh, eh, eh sound. My PC case is the 800D

I was under the impression that H50 was a quiet cooling solution, turns out at that the Pump is the loudest part of the system. The pump sounds like an "Electrical Box" or one of those Gigantic Tranformers on the streets. Crazy I know but maybe I have a bad pump. So Corsair support what is your take on this? Do I have a less than stellar pump that needs to be replaced, or is this the Standard characteristics of the H50 pump?

The pump will tick and make some noises. If I have my 800D open, it is louder than my Gentle Typhoon 1850s.

It's normal. You shouldn't hear it with your case closed though.

You shouldnt hear anything even with the case open.I hear nothing.

You shouldnt hear anything even with the case open.I hear nothing.

I've handled quite a few H50s and none of them were completely silent. The pump makes a buzzing/humming sound, which as MJinZ says, you shouldn't hear if you got your case closed. But I suppose if you sit right next to your case, and your computer otherwise IS completely silent, you might hear the pump faintly.

Noise quality is normal, noise amplitude/intensity is impossible to tell from equalizations of your recording device.

Yep, the noise in that video sounds like what I've been hearing too. Sound level doesn't seem to be too loud either, in other words, identical to my experiences as well.

My 800D case is closed and I can hear that pump over all my other fans. The sound of water pumping is not the problem is this loud BUZZ it makes. Also My PC is on the floor to my right and I can still hear it. Even when I walk over to the door.

When the Pump is louder than my 1850Rpm Gentle Typhoon it's all yo hear non stop Buzzzzzzzzzz. I was under the impression that H50 was a quiet cooling solution and maybe it very well is since I might have a defective pump.

also what header is it on? if the voltage is throttled any pump will strain and make noise. make sure power management / throttling is off for onboard power headers.

I tried connecting it with other leads on both the motherboard and separate standalone connections. So no difference in sound.

When I attached it to my fan controller only then was I able to reduce the buzz when I lowered the voltage to 7 Volts. This of course is a no no since I am sure the unit was designed to operate at 12v, but interesting observation non the less.

When I attached it to my fan controller only then was I able to reduce the buzz when I lowered the voltage to 7 Volts. This of course is a no no since I am sure the unit was designed to operate at 12v, but interesting observation non the less.

I had a H50 running at 7V for a while, as I also observed the noise level to drop, and it didn't seem to cause any problems. In fact, the CPU temperature only increased a couple of degrees, both during idle as well as load.

Of course, I don't know if Corsair recommends not to, or if it has any negative effects on the H50 parts.

Archived