Corsair Community

CX400W incompatible with Tyan S5220?

tojoski

I bought a 400CX to use in my home server, with a tyan s5220 motherboard.

Does anyone know of any compatibility issues between these two?

When I power on the system, it turns the fans on for about 1/2 a sec, and just cycles over and over again.

Whats weird is that sometimes if i unplug both lan ports sometimes it will post on the 400cx.. but not everytime

I tried it with an older 400w psu that I had, and it works fine with that one regardless of the lan being plugged in.

Only difference I can see, is that the older psu provides more power on the 5v rail.

I can still send it back to the distributor if needed, but if its incompatible, what corsair 80+ psu should I get?

Thanks

Joe

fwiw with todays power hungry rigs or even just a workstation i wouldnt use anything less than a 500W.

i have 650s in my daily drivers and 520s in everything else.

you always want to leave room for future upgrade/expansion of componants.

you may have sold yourself short a bit.

fwiw with todays power hungry rigs or even just a workstation i wouldnt use anything less than a 500W.

i have 650s in my daily drivers and 520s in everything else.

you always want to leave room for future upgrade/expansion of componants.

you may have sold yourself short a bit.

Maybe, but my kill-a-watt shows im only using about 90w on the older psu that works..

I was working under the impression that power supplies are most efficient at the upper end of the output.

Woops, the new psu is a 400cx, and wont run long enough to get a reading..

The old one that works is a 400w generic "ever" psu, but I wanted to replace it with something that is 80+ certified, because its going to run 24x7

And the cpu is 65w TDP, which is full-load, and I doubt it would even pull that much then.

I have another machine with a 400cx, running an e6500 (also 65 TDP) on a gigabyte board in my media center without any troubles....

oh, im not negating the possibility of you getting a dud or an incompatable PSU, im just sold on slight to moderate overkill for best results.

have a go at this...http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and see what your requirements might be. its a little more detailed than the one linked on the left.

also, thats 90W AC used to convert to DC within the PSU, thats not a true gauge of anything except what you are paying your electric company.

your CPU is 65 watts by itself.

I am really no expert here, but:

If 90W is what you have to pay for, then the actual power consumption of the computer is even lower (taking into account that no psu is 100% efficient).

And power supplies are rated according to what they deliver to the system not to what you have to pay for. So a 400 watt power supply should be able to draw a lot more from the wall.

What matters is the distribution of power between 3.3V, 5V and 12V. As I wrote in my topic about old socket A systems 5V should be very important for such old systems, not the total power rating.

Apart from this, most *modern* systems should even run perfectly with 250-300W power supplies, even with modern video cards and many hard drives.

Just sum up your components in your system and see what you really need. You will never need more than what you draw from the wall. So if 90W is all you draw from the wall, why buy a ridiculously powerful psu? (like so many folks with 1000W power supplies at home which is just laughable).

medan

Not to mention that when you have a 1000w power supply, you typically have to get to 20% capacity in order to get to the 80% efficiency range, thats 200watts, which is a lot, even my i7 / 4890 combo doesn't get that high.

I went ahead and ordered the 650tx, although from the calculations I see, that will put me in the neighborhood of 77% efficiency. Well, i guess its time to build that 16 drive raid 6 array of wd20eads.. That might put me in the 80's..:laughing:

Archived