Corsair Community

Brand New x64 ssd running slow

Judicial

Hi, I bought a Corsair x64 to install win 7 on as I was having some problems with Win 7 running on my samsung f1 raid hard drives.

I didn't use the drive for almost 2 weeks because of the whole firmware version 1.0 with no trim support. I couldn't wait anymore so I put it in with fresh Win 7 64 install. I changed all win 7 settings ie moving cache disabling superfetch and the likes. I ran Crystal Disk info to pleasantly see than the firmware version is 2.0; so I was happy with the trim support. I then benchmarked it with Crystal diskmark to get read speed of 137mbs and write speed of 93mbs. Is this because of firmware version 2.0? I was a little disappointed with the speeds. I even bought Diskeeper 2010 with Hyperfast and that made no difference.

It's running on Gigabyte controller which handles 4 sata of which I am running one other hard drive and a dvd rw. The other hardrive is running at normal speed so I'ts not the controller.

The corsair x64 is also running in AHCI mode from bios.

Are these speeds normal under firmware version 2.0?

Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

521358945_corsairx64BrandNew.PNG.65ea263c411e6c1775171a44e08199b0.PNG

Your figures are somewhat low. You seem to have a hell of a lot of F1's in your PC Spec's setup. You may be experiencing 'crosstalk' which will have an effect on the SSD. Ideally you should have your SSD on SATA port 1 and leave a couple of ports between drives; ie SSD on port 1, HDD's on ports 4 and 5 and your DVD writer on port 6 (assuming it is a 6 port setup).

Because you're using your SSD as your OS drive it will be marginally slower than if it were just being used for storage. Try moving your other drives around on the SATA controller and see if that has any beneficial effect.

I will try it mate. I have 6 Samsung 1tb in a raid configuration 2 pair each; just software raid with win 7 as it sort of sucked with intel p55 chipset raid very buggy.

The other 4 sata ports are controlled by gigabyte controller 1 port is WD caviar black 750gb, port 2 is pioneer dvd rw and port 3 is corsair x64.

Just did a test on wd cavier black that is in port 1 of Gigabyte controller and it gave me 99 mbs read and 85mbs write which is about right.

Also if hardrive is not in use doesn't it go in some sort of sleep mode to save power ie the 6 hard drives on p55 chipset?

I will disable my samsung drives and give it a go and will let you know my findings.

My X32's don't perform all that well in Crystal either.

Corsair use ATTO to qualify their max read/write speeds, so take another reading using the latest version of ATTO.

There is nothing wrong with the boards Intel RAID chipset, it's the same ICH10R that's used on X58 and P45 boards. Use the correct Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver and you have great stability, degradation alerts, tools to fix problems and a way to dynamically add/remove drives from the array. Crosstalk is pretty much a myth. SATA standards dictate a certain signal power level and a certain amount of shielding. This shielding is more than enough to cancel out any and all interference. After all, If crosstalk was an issue then having the HDD's on ports 4 and 5 would surely produce the exact same crosstalk effect?

The reason for your poor performance is because you're using the Gigabyte (purple) JMicron ports. They are known to be utterly useless for all but backup HDD's and maybe optical drives. Even then there are conflicts when using the JMicron ports such as FW update utilities not locating the HW when using an optical on the purple ports. I have nearly 3000 posts over at the TweakTown Gigabyte Forum, and the JMicron ports are definitely a cause for concern. They are on the board purely so that Gigabyte can tick a features box, and are best left alone unless you really need them. They also have a restricted number of PCIe lanes, making more than one SSD completely saturate the bandwidth of the ports without even reaching max speeds.

Depending on what RAID level you're using the only way to get decent performance from the X64 would be to move it over to the Intel ports. Personally I'd take two Samsung drives out and put them on the Purple ports as storage, then plug the SSD and optical into the ICH10R. Ideally it would be best to have the SSD on the first port (SATA0) and two pairs of Samsung drives on SATA 1-4 followed by the optical drive on SATA 5. It doesn't make a drastic difference but the first 4 ports are more configurable when it comes to RAID, notice how only the first 4 ports can be set to Native mode? As mentioned, don't worry about interference, I've had 3 SSD's and 3 WDJS2000's on the Intel ports with no issues on a multitude of Gigabyte boards. The over all bandwidth limit for the ICH10R is around 650MB/s, so if you are heavily using all 6 ports at once then you may get performance drops from certain drives depending how the ICH prioritizes the I/O

A HDD will only go into power saving by itself if it supports APM (Advanced Power Management). If it does not then you have to control when the drives are switched off using Windows Power settings. HDD' s don't really use that much power, the only significant draw is when they are spinning up, which is why the some RAID controllers are capable of "Staggered" starting of HDD's. If you often let the HDD sleep then wake it, you'll probably be using more power than if you left it on.

Thanks Psycho101, very informative indeed. Part of the problem was my fault for not installing Gigabyte chipset drivers as I never worried about it because I just had one hdd and a dvd rw installed and my focus was on Intel raid. And yes I have used Intel matrix storage solutions and it's pretty good just annoyed me a bit on a raid 10 setup. I think when the hardrives were spinning up out of sync it would cause Windows to get all sorts' of colour screen crashes and lots' of disk checks from windows at boot up.

After Gigabyte chipset drivers my corsair x64 reads 185mbs read and 75mbs write (this is with crystal disk). I'll try Atto later as I don't have it yet.

Now my write speeds aren't all that crash hot. Is this due to the chipset driver limitations from Gigabyte? Would my write and read speed improve on the Intel Chipset?

Got ATTO; upload not working for pic. Max read is at 189 mbs and max write is at 105 mbs.

Your help is always welcome thanks.

Yeah mate I tried it. For whatever reason Win 7 wont load. It also wont boot when I change settings in bios ie set other drives to ahci. It will only boot in the original port with ahci on in bios and everything else set to ide.

Even though I have a Win 7 image made; I am not sure if it's worth changing ie format ssd then put image on; as the Os reads more than it writes so having a read of 195 mbs is pretty good.

Does anyone even get 240 mbs read and 170 mbs write on a x series corsair?

I am nevertheless happy with the Corsair ssd x series and very happy that it's firmware version 2.0 with Trim support. Also Diskeeper with Hyperfast for ssd is very good and worthy of buying it overwrites windows crappy defrag so you can have special hyperfast defrag for ssd while having normal defrag for sata drives with inteliwrite on.

If Ram Guy or Yellowbeard tell me that I should be getting close to 240 mbs read and 170 mbs write then I will format my ssd.

So any Corsair staff reading this.. please tell me if I should be getting higher results from x series ssd. Currently it maxes out at 195 mbs read and 105mbs write.

Thanks.

I changed the corsair x64 to sata 0 port and left sata port 1 free on Intel chipset. I ran ATTO and got better read speeds but not that much difference in the write speeds. Max read is 230 mbs and max write is 108 mbs. Maybe the write is dumbed down a bit because of firmware version 2.0?

Any one got the same experience on a p55 chipset board?

• Corsair Employees
The Rated spec for the X-64 is 220 MB/s sequential read and 135 MB/s sequential write, so you are about right on. Because the drive is the BOOT drive the performance mark will be a bit less because of the over head of the O.S.

Thanks Ram Guy. It's good to know that it is preforming as it should. The read is more important than the write on an Os anyway.

You think down the track there will be trim support for raid setups? I think someone will find a way as you can't stop progress.

Anyway Big thanks to Corsair and staff for support and excellent product's.

• Corsair Employees
Yes I am sure as manufacturers develop drives and firmware updates that will be a feature they will want to implement. Windows 7 seems to becoming quite popular just hope Microsoft does not screw it up with the next Service Pack. Like they did with Windows ME.

Archived