Corsair Community

Very Nervous about my new X256

tomb18

On Friday I decided to order a Corsair X256 drive based on reviews I had seen. It was to be shipped late Monday.

On the weekend, I began to read reports on the corsair forum of the failures of the x256 as well as other manufacturers Indeillix barefoot drives. One person did 2 rma's and all three died.

So on Monday, I called Corsair to hear it from their tech support. I was told that there is a slightly higher failure rate on the earlier drives (3%) but I shouldn't worry.

So I waited for delivery. Today, I installed the drive in my laptop and the installation went fine. Windows 7 did its usual reboots and there was no problem. I proceeded to use the computer for a few hours, ran ATTO and then did a shut down and left for home.

Tonight I turned on the computer, and Windows wouldn't boot. I received the message that Windows cannot start. So I loaded the recovery dvd and it would not work. It would sit there trying to read the wimndows installation but not do anything. So I rebooted and told it to load drivers, and it presented me with all of the folders on the drive and everything looked good.

However, it would not start. I have had to do a reinstall. Now, it is now working, and I have done a power down and then a restart and it is still working, but I have a bad feeling with this. IN all my years of building systems I have never had something like this happen. Nor with the 10 other SSD's I have installed recently not indellix). It's as if the boot tracks were lost.

IN my opinion, I think that there is a serious issue with the X series of drives and Corsait should come clean and offer alternate replacements. This is a major pain in the neck. My suppplier wants a $150 restocking fee. If I replace this with an RMA, then it will take a few weeks (iI'm in Canada).

This is probably Corsairs most expensive product, and I don't take it lightly that I just shelled out $900 for this drive.

I have lost faith in this company. It is not enough that they offer a warantee. They know there is an issue, but they are still selling it. Something like Toyota.

BTW, the firmware is 2.1

Seems like the disappearing issue has disappeared to be replaced with boot tracks being "forgotten"

• Corsair Employees

Does the BIOS still see the drive? If so then that is not the problem, there was some of the early drives that would not be detected but that was resolved a long time ago.

If the system BIOS still see's the drive I would suspect some other cause of the porblem.

BUT THERE IS NO ISSUE THAT I AM AWARE OF WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE.

I would suggest testing the drive on another system to be sure its not some issue with your system or install.

Yes the bios sees the drive however, the boot tracks are gone. Don't forget, I did this twice. A power down for a few minutes is ok. The system will boot fine. I did this several times.

However, a power down for a longer period results in the boot tracks disappearing.

Put on another computer, the file system shows up.

I have requested an RMA but was told to have it replaced with a P series would require talking to customer service.

I do not want another X256.

• Corsair Employees

We can RMA the drive that is no problem, but you would need to talk to our customer service for those requests. We can only replace the drive for the same part from TECH Support.

Did you try what I suggest and test the drive on another system?

Also have you checked with the manufacturer of the system/NB to see if there are any known issue with SSD's and or if they have any BIOS/Driver/Firmware updates for the chipset?

There are no updates from the manufacturer. This is a Sony z-series laptop of which they have several models that come from the manufacturer with SSD's (including raid 0)

I have already replaced thjis one with a 80g competetors drive and there was no issue.

What happens if I get the same drive and this happens again (like another poor soul (3x now))?

It's pretty hard to have confidence in this model.

My reseller will issue an rma. However, for a refund I may get hit for a 15% stocking fee (about $125!).

Does the P series suffer from growing pains too?

What is the difference? Indilex too?

You must have nightmares when you go home about the X! (lol)

• Corsair Employees
There no problems that I know if with either drive, I have seen some OEM systems be more sensitive with the extreme series because of the speed. And would suggest the P-Series for most NB's especially Apple or lower end NB's

My reseller will issue an rma. However, for a refund I may get hit for a 15% stocking fee (about $125!).

Does the P series suffer from growing pains too?

What is the difference? Indilex too?

You must have nightmares when you go home about the X! (lol)

They charge a restocking fee on defective parts? You are doing an RMA :confused:

Yes I am doing an rma. On their web site they have conflicting info from what they told me over the phone.

FYI: This morning when I turned on the computer the OS was gone. Looking at the drive on another computer I could see the windows 7 folders.

I put it back into the laptop, and did a repair. It was successful.

I shut down the computer down again, and went back an hour later. Turned on the computer and got the message "operating system not found"

I then went into the BIOS and it told me there was no disk installed.

This is with firmware 2.1

It seems that it has the exact issues as in the past.

As to my laptop being sensitive to the speed? You can buy it with RAID 0 SSD's straight from Sony. Or their new Z model, offering 4x32G Raid 0!

The Z is built for performance without compromise ($4000!) So I am sure this is not the issue.

Anyhow, its too bad you are stuck with these issues.

• Corsair Employees
It seems that it has the exact issues as in the past.

As to my laptop being sensitive to the speed? You can buy it with RAID 0 SSD's straight from Sony. Or their new Z model, offering 4x32G Raid 0!

The Z is built for performance without compromise ($4000!) So I am sure this is not the issue.

Anyhow, its too bad you are stuck with these issues.

No that is not the same issue as I said before the issue was the drive would not be detected in the BIOS and that is not whats happening in this case.

I would suspect it is a driver or BIOS issue.

Archived