Corsair Community

Software to Optimize SSD's

Tekgun

I have came across two software's that claim to optimize and/or speed up SSD drives. I also know you're not supposed to defrag your SSD,

So I was wondering if any one has more info, or whether these are a good idea or not. I would also like to know what Corsair's viewpoint is on this.

Diskeeper has a page about their Hyperfast and SSD here

And PerfectDisk have a faq about their defragmenter and SSD here

I agree with RAM Guy. I use Hyperfast and find it works great.

My RAID array, after ~1 month's use exhibits the same slight degradation pattern with transfers slowing via ATTO in the 8K-64K range. A pass of Hyperfast completely eliminates this. What it won't do is restore a drive to the same performance as a secure erase though.

I'll see if I have some before and after screenshots on my other rig, I'm sure I took some ATTO benches.

• Corsair Employees
One more thing, Disk keeper worked well in the tests I did with our SSD Drives but it will not work on a drive that has degraded, In other words it would have to have been installed from the get go to keep it working up to speed. And if you run something that writes a lot of Temp files it does not repair that right away it takes a long time to reclaim the performance. I had to Wipe the drives and start over several times during the testing. But in normal use Diskeeper should have no problems keeping up with Windows and keeping top performance.

Again, I agree. I was able to smoothe out those minor irregularities I mentioned but when I tested by filling the drive to the max then deleting (using IOMeter) there was no way that Hyperfast could sort it out, it was a Secure Erase job.

Until we get the FW with GC (yes, it will come soon enough, patience is a virtue) Hyperfast is a Godsend for keeping my RAID0 snappy. You can tell the difference right away in responsiveness after Hyperfast has been run on a moderately used drive/array. I play WoW and use a lot of 3rd party addons that extend the loading time of the game. It seems that this time is very dependant on an even performance across all transfer sizes, hence the big boost in Warcraft loading times when optimized with Diskeeper.

One thing I would say, from my testing thus far, don't use the "Tony TRIM" method (Perfectdisk consolidate followed by AS Clean) as for me it has put every SSD I used it on into a "degraded state". I have screenies of this but with an X25-M so I won't post them up (competitor product). Sufficed to say the drive has a distinct set of bench figures with Crystal when degraded and this "Psudo-TRIM" method produced that pattern every single time.

Here is my short test.

Seems Diskeeper really works with that Hyperfast.

But not on my Jmicron based ssd too bad.

Remember this is only an indication!

I was not bothered to use more tools like Atto during/before the test because it's time consuming.

Benchmarked on a tweaked Vista64 (did ssd tweaks myself).

http://i46.tinypic.com/rbmg3o.jpg

conclusion: works on a kinda degraded X64 (last secure erase was more then a month ago)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rp4ps7.jpg

edit: did a quick Atto after

This is great information!

I went to Diskeeper's site and it appears that HyperFast is not part of the trial version. From the order page HyperFast is a US$10 add-on. Someone please correct me if that isn't the case.

Also, a question: I've used a Perfectdisk up until dropping an SSD into Windows7. When the FW update becomes available for me, will I need to continue running Diskeeper with HyperFast from a strickly performance standpoint or will TRIM take care of the disk in a way that HyperFast will not provide any additional benefits to performance? I hope I'm being clear... I'm not worried about the optimization of files, just the need to have both TRIM and HyperFast.

Thank you!

Once the new firmware is out and you are able to update so you can take advantage of trim (X-Series) then the need for the likes of Diskeeper and Perfect Disk for SSD's will become redundant. They are, of course, still good for standard spinning drives.

You don't need to worry about file optimisation - the only reason defraggers exist to help speed up access on spinning drives, since SSD's are 'blink and you'll miss it' fast there is no need for file optimisation. No moving parts, no need to optimise :-)

Not 100% true. SSD's still fragment, data still gets caught between erase borders etc. This is part of the reason why performance degrades over time. A traditional defrag program will not work, but those coded for SSD's will be able to re-order blocks etc. the proof is in those screenshots. Just look at the Corsair random 4K results before and after. All Hyperfast does is re-organize blocks, there is no pre erasure going on.

Even TRIM will not keep a SSD from degrading in certain usage patterns, and running at optimum TRIM will only keep the drive at 90-95% factory fresh. A Hyperfast run once in a while will be fine and may help, we'll have to see. I'll do some tests similar to Boerenlater when the TRIM/GC FW is out.

You can get a trial with Hyperfast, you need to download the "Pro Premier" trial and Hyperfast will be installed along with Diskeeper then.

I went to Diskeeper's site and it appears that HyperFast is not part of the trial version. From the order page HyperFast is a US$10 add-on. Someone please correct me if that isn't the case.

Also, a question: I've used a Perfectdisk up until dropping an SSD into Windows7. When the FW update becomes available for me, will I need to continue running Diskeeper with HyperFast from a strickly performance standpoint or will TRIM take care of the disk in a way that HyperFast will not provide any additional benefits to performance? I hope I'm being clear... I'm not worried about the optimization of files, just the need to have both TRIM and HyperFast.

Thank you!

I didnt use the trial version, I just 'borrowed' it ::pirate::

Thank you!

I can confirm that the trial version of the Home edition has HyperFast. Downloaded the very same about 3 hours ago. Works darn well too.

How does this work??? I always thought that "wear levelling" inside the SSD would cause the blocks to move about in a way completely unrelated to the logical sequence presented to the computer. So every time a block gets written, the firmware flags that block as available for use, and writes the block out to some other location, thus avoiding any single block getting hammered by repetitive use. But the computer knows nothing about these internal machinations. LBA number 75, say, will always be presented to the computer as LBA 75, although the data for it may have been gathered from any old block, as pointed to by the firmware's internal translate table.

I don't dispute that the shifting around of blocks by 'optimization' programs has an effect - enough people here say it is demonstrably true. I just puzzle over how it can be so!

Oh well. My X256 system drive, firmware 1.1, has slowed down fractionally over the last month according to the AS SSD benchmark I just ran. The access time has got slower by 6 microseconds ffs :) . Can't grumble about that.

Thanks for this tip on DiskKeeper.

Just ran it on my systems and there's a big difference.

Here's the before and after scores on my X256:

After -

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/tamvegas/CrystalMark3AfterDiskKeeperOptimiza.png

Before -

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/tamvegas/CrystalMark3beforeDiskKeeperOptimiz.png

A little background. My X256 was one of the first to go in for replacement with all the problems back in July of '09. The RamGuy was kind enough to use mine as a test case and, though it took a month, the replacement has been flawless ever since (albeit a flakey sata cable gave me a scare). I was surprised that DiskKeeper not only optimized my SSDs, but recovered 5 gigs on the X256. I have a P256 with similar results, will post later.

The idea behind defragmenting a drive is to ensure fast access by limiting the amount of work the spinning platters arms have to travel across the platters. It makes sense to keep all the blocks together and thus limit the amount of work the drive has to do to access these blocks of data. SSD's don't suffer in the same way. Latency on a SSD is usually measured at around the 0.1ms level and because there are no moving parts accessing the data is lightspeed ahead of a spinning drive.

Wear levelling ensures that the same blocks are not written to in consecutive and sequential writes giving a fair spread of wear across the entire drive structure. Defraging a SSD effectively neutralises this wear levelling feature (governed by the controller) which is why it is not recommended to defrag a SSD. Hyperfast and Perfect Disk will defrag your drive and will give some performance back, but the end results 'may' be that you decrease the life of your SSD. Because these technologies are as new as SSD's are it is unpredictable as to what the long term effects will be; short term the results may be encouraging but long term we can only but wait and see.

Before I read up on the detrimental effects of defragging on a SSD I ran Perfect Disk on my own X64 and the level of fragmentation was minimal, not enough to warrant running the defrag process; I ran PD after about three weeks of daily use of my X64 and my daily use is pretty heavy traffic.

Once again we come down to the point of squeezing that extra X% gain in performance which in real use will be negligable and never noticed. If your drive's performance drops to low standards then secure erase it or use the wiper tool until Trim is available.

These are just my thoughts, but IMO I would not use any kind of defrag software on your SSD until the long-term effects are known.

• Corsair Employees

With SSD's you would need to use Diskeeper with Hyperfast the latest version on their site will let you use a trial but as mentioned you need to make sure it detects your SSD Drive and that it is the right version. And it will say with Hyper fast at the top.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6466&stc=1&d=1265392516

And here is the setting to force a SSD Drive:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6465&stc=1&d=1265392338

diskeeperssd.PNG.e6cef827330706a0a0f898d37cf4b018.PNG

diskeeper.JPG.81955cdc9b10bb124a0af1716158dffb.JPG

Archived