Corsair Community

Looking for good dust filter!

Not sure if this has ever been posted before but I'm in need of a good dust filter or dust solution. I have my H50 mounting in the back of my ******** 902 case. I'm using a push/pull setup where both fans and radiator are inside the case. My only issue is dust. I live in South Texas where dust is a constant problem. I purchased a ModRight 120mm filter but it doesn't fit right. Is anyone using a filter that works well for them or does anyone have a different dust solution? The Modright filter would have worked but my case has a built in grill over the 120mm rear fan opening. So far the only solution I can think of is to cut the grill off but I'm nervous about really messing up my case since the grill actually part of the case metal itself. Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated.

I personally would remove the stock grill to compensate for adding a filter, seeing that adding the filter is going to make your fan work a little harder and decrease its performance. A Dremel would make like work of the stock grill, but I can understand how you might not want to compromise your case though.

Not sure I would use a filter like the ModRight myself. I would probably lean toward something like this. Just remember, if your going to have fingers around the fans, it might be best to leave the stock grills, or replace them with new ones that are less restrictive.

Thanks for the advice. I just happen to have a nearly new Dremel sitting at my mother's house. The H50 radiator catches alot of the dust but I would like to keep that clean as well. I will have to increase my fan speeds to at least medium to compensate for the filter. More noise but less dust..fair trade off. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. I just happen to have a nearly new Dremel sitting at my mother's house. The H50 radiator catches alot of the dust but I would like to keep that clean as well. I will have to increase my fan speeds to at least medium to compensate for the filter. More noise but less dust..fair trade off. Thanks again.

If you decide to attack with the dremel, please post some pictures for us. We'd love to see how it works out. I'm contemplating some dremel work myself:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=437298&postcount=7

Good luck to you! ::pirate::

Not sure if this has ever been posted before but I'm in need of a good dust filter or dust solution. I have my H50 mounting in the back of my ******** 902 case. I'm using a push/pull setup where both fans and radiator are inside the case. My only issue is dust. I live in South Texas where dust is a constant problem. I purchased a ModRight 120mm filter but it doesn't fit right. Is anyone using a filter that works well for them or does anyone have a different dust solution? The Modright filter would have worked but my case has a built in grill over the 120mm rear fan opening. So far the only solution I can think of is to cut the grill off but I'm nervous about really messing up my case since the grill actually part of the case metal itself. Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated.
You check another thread: here..

I mades it on my own [*Photo*] 1, 2, 3 from Show off your h50 rig!.

or

you can make PantyHose Filters. There is also a cheaper and home made way to make your own dust filter. Panty hoes! That’s right, grab your wife’s, girlfriend’s, strange cousin, or grandma’s holey panty hoes and get to modding.

I checked out your pics earlier today and was wondering what the blue material was. I'm all for getting creative (not to mention inexpensive) but I would like something that will keep dust out plus allow for easy clean up. A filter on the outside of the case appears to offer the best results but its going to require some work.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of those 120mm fan filters from FrozenCPU.com that was referenced earlier. Fits just fine. For your application you'll have to go to a hardware store and get the appropriate length screws because it'll will add some length. may take the stock screws for reference, get some longer than you need and use the dremmel to cut the screw to length...the goal is to grab the rad, not puncture it, so you'll need to take careful measurements. get a nut for those screws too and thread the nut before cutting. once you've cut to length take the nut off...that will clean and de-bur the threads. put the nut back on and take off several times until the threads are in good shape, then test fit. if you feel resistance STOP and make sure you're not hitting the rad..if you are, cut more off.

One more thing, ANY filter will restrict air flow. I tried that particular filter on a bare fan and used my hands to feel the difference in air flow and I could really tell a difference. They are great at catching dust though, so you'll have to clean it often or you'll restrict air flow even more. I almost recomend going without the filter and using compressed air often to clean out the case and H50. I have two air compressors that I use to keep from having to buy those expensive cans of air...you can get one for less than $75. It'll pay for itself believe me...also useful for inflating flat car tires ;)

I've heard of people reporting a 2-5c difference to the bad when dust is built up in the rad, so with or without a fan filter some dust will get in and will need to be cleaned. given that cleaning will have to happen no matter what, I'd take the path of least air resistance..which is no filter. if your room is THAT dusty, consider a single room air filter, it'll be better for you and your electronic gear.

I used a BGears 120mm filter on the case side panel fan on my ******* Two Hundred Case. It actually fit without having to cut off the raised grill (similar, if not identical to the one on the 900). Eventually, I will Dremel the stock grill off to improve airflow but for now, it works fine. You can get the filter in a two pack from the Fresh Henfruit place or from the Warrior Woman site. The retailer with the name of what you do to henfruit also has them. The only caveat is you cannot use regular fan screws to attach the filter and fan (the case is sandwiched between the two). I used regular flathead sheet metal screws (# 10, methinks). They can be found in black at most hardware stores. The filter cover is easy to pull off for cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so its been about a month and a half since I did this post. Over the past week or so I've noticed my temps have not been as low as they were when I originally installed my H50. As a result I decided it was time to do a cleaning. I found so much damn dust in the H50 radiator that I finally did it. In a dust hating fit of rage I took the Dremel to my case. Here are some pictures of the before and after. I was too lazy to empty my case out so I used tape and plastic bags to cover everything. I do not recommend this...there were a fair amount of sparks flying during this fairly quick process. The only thing I need to do now is buy a square filter. I used the ModRight filter but it does not cover the entire area left open now that the grill is removed.

SDC11158.thumb.JPG.b52d85274a76ef02bd440b3f2ec49aa8.JPG

SDC11167.thumb.JPG.64d2ecab2a38b5190dd0803ba9c0a8a0.JPG

SDC11168.thumb.JPG.b69ec0d18f64924f48898b22765401b5.JPG

SDC11173.thumb.JPG.65eb2dca97cf67e7f6b89847df76050f.JPG

SDC11176.thumb.JPG.8e78930e9f74481427f456113f3c660b.JPG

Archived