Corsair Community

Installation of 4 DIMMs in MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum

janzizka

Forum,

I'm having an issue with installation of two (2) sets of 2 GB DDR2 DIMMs (4 DIMMs total) in my MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum motherboard.

The issue is this (I'm sure it's a simple solution I'm just not savvy enough so I'm asking the pros) I installed two (2) of the DIMMs first. So I put in one (1) set in my motherboard in the following order: DIMM1 slot, then DIMM2 slot.

Now, when I try to install the other two (2) DIMMS as follows: DIMM3 slot, then DIMM4 slot, my system won't post.

What am I doing wrong???? I assume that there's some order you have to install them in right?

Thanks for any help guys!

Chris R

Well, to add a wrinkle I just realized something. I looked at the Corsair DIMMs I bought (two seperate kits, total of 4 DIMMs) and they are different revision numbers, if that matters.

So, I'm wondering if the same version has to be in the same channel? There are two memory channels on the MB, channel A and channel B.

The modules are the TWIN2X4096-8500C5D G.

Also, does Corsair reccomend I let the system auto set the settings or should I change the memory settings manually in the BIOS? If so what are the reccomended settigns?

• Corsair Employees

It is possible that the two revisions mixing and matching can cause an issue. Please try manually setting the timings to 5-5-5-18-2T(CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and the dimm/memory voltage to 2.1 volts. Also please try setting the memory to 800MHz as well as the memory controller may not want to run 4 modules at 1066MHz.

Please let us know the results.

Well, I tried to go into the BIOS and change the memory settings but I couldn't find where to change CAS-tRCD-tRP or tRAS. The memory volatge setting is greyed out and I can't change it. I need to learn the BIOS better....

Anyway, I tried various combinations and install orders with the DIMMs and I got three (3) of the DIMMs to install and the system to work. The fourth DIMM when I install it my system won't post. So, I suspect it's a bad DIMM.

At least I'm running with 6 GB now...I checked Windows 7 and it sees 6 GB.

• Corsair Employees
Test all of the modules one at a time in the first slots especially the suspect module, I suspect it is a CPU Limitation that will not allow the system to post with all four installed. But with 4 modules you will have to lower the memory frequency and set the Memory Controller voltage to +.2 Volts over default as well as the memory Voltage.

Archived