Corsair Community

Incompatibility of PSU with Dell computer??

Harlen

I installed a Corsair 450VX PSU in my 18 month old Dell Inspiron 518 and have been having intermittent problems where the computer will not power up especially right after a shut down. If I wait 15 minutes or so it usually will power up.

I contacted Corsair support and was told that the problem was “most likely a compatibility issue between the 450VX and the Dell.” No remedy was offered.

How can a power supply be incompatible with a mainstream computer such as Dell? Has anyone ever heard of such an incompatibility?

Thank you.

It all depends on what ATX your Dell motherboard requires. Can you find out what ATX spec version it has?

If you think the PSU is defective, we'll gladly replace it. Just use the link to the left. However, I'd suggest a bit of testing if you can so that you do not RMA the wrong component.

Why did you replace the original PSU?

Have you tried the Brief Functionality Test in the PSU stickies?

Yes. Lots of OEM systems don't follow ATX PSU specs. OEMs often have proprietary PSUs to fit very specific voltage / wattage / size requirements. You have to ask Dell support VERY SPECIFICALLY for technical specs that definitively state whether or not that system supports ATX 2.01+ specs. Do not settle for a yes or a no.

Archived