Corsair Community

Win7 BSOD - suspect my SSD as the cause

cmoehr

I've got a truly random BSOD issue with my win7 64 system. It happens every few days, on no pattern I can see, sometimes in the middle of the night when nothing is happening, sometime when I am surfing, sometimes video editing...

Memory timings are stock (as is processor) and passed memtest86. Heat is not an issue as my EVGA utility shows me everything is fine.

My issue is that on the BSOD crash NOTHING gets written to a crash dump. I installed whocrashed and it finds nothing. Nothing in the event log either. Upon crash, it tries to reboot and then tells me that there is no OS to boot. Power down and reboot then works (consistently) and I'm back into windows, but no entries in the system logs other than "system did not reboot cleanly". No event showing WHY it went down. I am wondering... if somehow the SSD is failing communication with the system, then maybe that's why there is no log.

All ideas welcome. Well, almost all ideas...

Do you have the error code or error message that should be stated on the BSOD?

It is possible but also extremely rare that a SSD will cause a BSOD. A SATA driver may though. Download and install the latest Intel chipset drivers and the Intel Matrix Storage drivers and see if that helps.

Also remember that just because one is using stock settings it doesn't mean that their system is stable. If I load optimized defaults on my system, everything is set to stock. However the system is not Prime stable and Windows 7 will refuse to install (RAM timings/Speed/Multi/advanced timing/tRead errors)

The error code flies by with the BSOD - The screen is gone and the machine is rebooting in less than 2 seconds. Can you recommend what part of the screen I could focus on the next time it happens? I'm not sure I could even get a pic taken with a camera on standby sitting next to me. Plus it's like every 4 days it happens...

Also, the memory timings are set at the manufacturer specs. My machine reads them at 7-7-7-17. but I manually changed them to 8-8-8-24 per many users and OEM recommendations. In any event, I booted into memtest86 and no errors were found there.

Detected - yes. But they are listed as not having an OS, so it prompts me to "insert a CD". Sometimes it will list the array as having failed, but most often it does not - just no OS found. One additional reboot and windows is found. This is very consistent so far - two reboots and windows is good to go.

You've likely had a read error on your array. It'll hang on for a bit,then continue to degrade.You can reload your backup or make a backup (during one of your good runs) image and then try to reload Win7 from a scratch and see how it behaves. In my case it continued to degrade with more and more errors showing up,so I eventually RMA'd the faulty drive and all is well again. In any case back up your valuable data,'cause it sounds like you'll be reloading your O/S. The other thing to try is to unravel your RAID (i.e. go to two single drives) and re-load your backup onto the "good" drive to see how the O/S behaves when the faulty drive is not involved.

You can disable the auto reboot on BSOD. Right click My Computer and choose properties, then select Advanced System Settings from the small menu on the left top corner. This brings up the System Properties page.Select the Advanced tab and hit the "Settings" button under the last section titled "Startup and Recovery". On this menu you can see half way down there is an option to disable rebooting on system failure, simply remove the check from next to "Automatically Restart" and the next time you have a BSO|D you will have to manually power down the system, giving plenty of time for you to see the error code.

After you have this code post back with it. There are lots of resources online that will have records of such codes and likely causes, simply type the code in full into google (or any other popular search engine).

May I also suggest that you go into your BIOS and load "Optimized Defaults" then test the system first with Memtest86+ version 4 and then if it passes with Prime 95 in Windows on Large FFT for at least 4 hours.

If you get any failures then it may be a simple case of adjusting the defaults slightly so that everything runs smoothe. Common culprits for stock settings not working include RAM strap used (can be 2-4 identical multipliers with different straps on some boards) and EPP/XMP. My Corsair XMS2 is severely unstable if I use the built in XMP profiles in conjunction with this Gigabyte board., Setting everything up manually and to spec works great and an OC to 1100-DDR goes without a hitch, Prime Stable in Blend for 24 hours, Large FFT 12 hours, Small FFT 12 hours, Intel Burn Test 50 runs and numerous WinRAR tests with varying file sizes to tune MCH reference voltages.

Psycho - thanks for the tip - autoreboot disabled. I did also update Intel matrix drivers as well. I could not find a chipset driver for my x58 board - just some holiday bundle app at the intel site.

The bios is at stock settings / default settings other than changing to raid o. Memtest passed, I have not run prime yet.

Dusan - The drive doesn't show as failed, just on initial reboot it fails to load an OS. It looks fine in BIOS and RAID setup.

THANKS!!! for your help.

Ok - just ran Prime95 for 5 hours straight - no issues. Core temp never over 40 c on 100% load on all cores. Individual core temps never over 57 c. I have such mixed emotions.... is the ghost gone or just going to haunt me ..... later. Also - ran memtest86 again - first time was version2.11, this time on 4. All checks out thus far.

It sounds like your system is pretty stable. Did you make sure to use the Large FFT option? This puts more strain on the Memory sub-system than Small FFT and Blend will, thus weeding out any Northbridge and RAM problems as well as still testing the CPU enough.

Hopefully the BSOD's were not related directly to your SSD. I'd still DL all the latest drivers if possible for chipset, AHCI if using it (Intel Matrix Storage Manager), and even such things as mouse/KB, NIC and GPU drivers. All these can cause issues that point to RAM. Basically any program can crash with an error pertaining to RAM but it probably isn't a HW fault, just a dodgy program.

Still no failure - I'm wondering if the intel matrix storage driver made the difference, although I was confused about the last post saying AHCI... the driver controls AHCI and RAID, right? I'm using raid 0. Just trying to think if I've just gotten really lucky or if that made a difference.

Um - I think you missed something. It's no longer crashing now that the Intel Matrix driver is installed. The Microsoft driver appears to be the cause....

I do appreciate you took the time to respond - am I misunderstanding something?

Archived